Wikileaks - US forces 'ignored Iraq torture'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Silent_Scope, Oct 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "A new batch of secret US military records being released by Wikileaks shows commanders did not investigate torture by the Iraqi authorities."

BBC News - US forces 'ignored Iraq torture'

Is it just me who thinks leaks like this will do more harm than good?
  2. I think the ARRSE tradition (usually when there's a Labour government, mind) is that everything in the public sector has to be made available to the taxpayer.
  3. Usually@.@

Was ARRSE even in the planning stage when the last LieBore gunmint was elected in 1997 @.@
  4. By what authority would US or UK forces have to impose our respective regulations on Iraqi Forces? I know we couldn't charge an Iraqi under our UCMJ. Could the UK charge an Iraqi Soldier under Queens regualtions?
  5. AS we pay for it I would like to think so old boy! Your mob introduced some of the most repressive legislation ever enacted in peace time,and don't quote "The Freedom of Information",by the time the file has been censored it's about useless,just like you.
  6. Looks like another damp copy of yesterday's news from Wikileaks.
  7. I concur.

8. And the impact of this story in 1 day, 1 week or 1 years time is? Zero!
  9. Guessing wildly, I should have thought that the applicable law was Iraqi domestic law.

Then again, for as long as Iraq continues not to have an effective government, AIUI by international conventions to which we are signatory it is the responsibility of the occupying powers to uphld law and order in territories they have occupied until functioning government of some kind can be restored.

All the best,

10. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Oh I don't know - try to drum up support for a grubby little war in the future and see how far it gets.
  11. Britain and the US went to war on a pack of lies. They set up a regime based on rape, torture and possibly death squads too. Nobody was liberated. But leaks like this might conceivably stop it happening again.
  12. пошёл на хуй

88 huh? White Supremicist type......

Urban Dictionary: 88
  13. To honest isn't the real drama that this is the 3rd big leak on US forces within the year. WTF is going on with your personnel?
  14. Active public engagement in the democratic process, such that twats like Dubya/B'liar/Cheney might critically examine their own thought processes where war is concerned might be a good thing.

Whether Wikileaks facilitates that in any way - jury's out, IMHO

Real motivation of Mr Wikileaks - I would not wish even to guess.

Only one thing comes out of this/these leaks:

Leaks are a fact of (post-modern) life - gunmint and military need to learn to live with it .

Success in post-modern conflict (fighting where national survival a la WW2 is not the issue) requires that the population of the 'friendly' combatant nations (NATO/ISAF) has a high degree of confidence that (a) We are doing this for good reason, and (b) Our Strategy and Plans Are As Sound As We Know How To Make Them (c) They Are Legitimate, Legal, and Executed in line with Our Ethical, Legal and Moral standards (d) They Are Adequately Resourced; (e) We Are Constantly Reviewing Them In Light Of Experience, and (f) as a result - We Are Making Demonstrable Progress

Wikileaks and the like are only a problem if we cannot meet those tests.

Sadly, in the last decade, we haven't been very good at meeting the standards - and where we have, we've been piss poor at communicating it.

No f#cking wonder folk lap up Wikileaks.

15. I await your support for this contention.