Wikileaks: Suspect Bradley Manning faces 22 new charges

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by singha61, Mar 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC
    The US Army has charged a soldier held in connection with the leak of US government documents published by the Wikileaks website with 22 extra counts.

The new charges against Private First Class Bradley Manning include aiding the enemy, a capital offence, but prosecutors have said they will not seek the death penalty.

The intelligence analyst is being held at a military jail in Virginia.

He is suspected of leaking 720,000 diplomatic and military documents.

Pte Manning, who joined the US military in 2007, was initially charged in May with 12 counts of illegally downloading and sharing a secret video of a US military operation and secret military and diplomatic documents and cables.

The new charges accuse the soldier of using unauthorised software on government computers to download classified information and to make intelligence available to "the enemy".

Under the US Uniform Code of Military Justice, the offence is punishable by death.

But in a news release, the US Army said prosecutors would not seek the death penalty, although Pte Manning could face life in prison if tried and convicted.

BBC News - Wikileaks: Suspect Bradley Manning faces 22 new charges
  2. This lad will unfortunately swing I think, or commit 'suicide'. FYI he's been in solitary for almost a year now, America the greatest Democracy in the world, scary. Behaving like this they are certainly leading a way for some others to follow.
  3. The only surprise is that they haven't got him lined up for 720,000 consecutive death sentences.

The authorities are going to jump up and down on his head until he disappears in order to distract from the fact that it was mostly their own fault for having such piss poor security.

It was an extraordinary thing for him to do, though, and I'm still not sure why he did it.
  4. I hear the criticism but I don't hear the alternatives. I don't think he will get a death sentence but I do however think that he will be making big rocks into little rocks for a long time.

Regardless of security, you expect your soldiers to follow orders and at least have a modicum of respect for their country. Pvt Manning must be made an example of, there are no two ways about it, or else risk having the next private exposing our underwear in public.

What would Britain do?
  5. It's not like he's a civilian, he's signed their equivalent of the Official Secrets Act which is something you don't do lightly. He's obliged by law to protect the information that he has access to, so leaving aside any moral arguments he's committed serious crimes and he'll (rightly) serve a long time in prison for that. He'd be dealt with in the same way were he a British serviceman. This isn't some careless squaddie having loose lips on an internet forum, this is a massive breach of the trust placed in a seviceman in a privileged position. I can't have any sympathy.
  6. He knew what he was doing and he did it with full knowledge that it was illegal. Zero sympathy for that.

Whether what he did was morally wrong as well as illegal will have to be left to the historians to decide.
  7. My understanding was that the prosecution have said they won't seek the death penalty. Manning may or may not have done what he is accused of - happy to see him punished, once he is found guilty ... (and as he is reported to have confessed to the first 12 charges?) The conditions on such an extended remand do seem a little severe though. We wouldn't

Anyway, the tin-foil hat brigade are insisting that this regime is too get him to roll over and implicate St Julian of Stockholm, possibly even to get him on a procuring information rather than publishing, so they can hang someone who is an ongoing problem.
  8. As I understand it he is openly gay. Will they send him to a woman's nick then? After all it'd be a funny kind of punishment if he gets to actually live in one of his homoerotic fantasies by sending him to a man's lock-up.
  9. How are those diversity and inclusion courses going?

I personally don't know why the prosecutors aren't going for the death penalty? If they are not they aren't very good lawyers, a Prosecuting Lawyer should go for the maximum penalty, and then let the defendant plea bargain down - or if he's so confident of being found innocent - go to trial.

Personally, if found guilty, I'd Admiral Byng him pour encourager les autres.
  10. The fashion a few years ago was to leave laptops, CDs and USB sticks on trains and such i dont think anyone was ever punished for it and the papers had a field day. not sure how much stuff they lost was acctualy ever seen again
  11. What he said, plenty of people bleating about Manning's human rights on the news but the fact is he intentionally disclosed PM and knew exactly what was the consequences would be if caught. He clearly fancied himself as a bit of an internet hero and is finding out whats it's like to play big boy's rules.
  12. Whatever you might think about "our cousins", they generally have much stronger views about freedom of speech than we do, but they do draw a line on security issues. This guy didn't so much step over the line, but took a long run and leapt as far as he could, then repeated his attempt to set a new world record. He must have known the diplomatic repurcussions of his actions and must now face the consequences; if he didn't understand then he deserves to be locked up to stop the gene pool being diminished further.

The prosecution aren't demanding the death penalty - good - perhaps an indication that US justice is a little more pragmatic than we would like to think. He has damaged his country's reputation and I for one think that, if their court system agree then he deserves what the law dictates. I bet our judiciary would not do the same but that does not make them right, they also fail to deal adequately with squatters, burglers, rapists and paedophiiles so why should they deal with traitors any differently. Let's hope Assange, who is the equivalent of Manning's "dealer" is watching and worrying!
  13. Well somebody got promoted, all the way to 4* and a Lordship and a Ministry, having left some stuff on a towpath bench. Or am I confusing Admiral Lord West with a character out of some dubious spy novel?