Wikileaks Afghan war diary

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by thegimp, Jul 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afghan War Diary, 2004-2010 - WikiLeaks

WikiLeaks has released a document set called the Afghan War Diary (AWD), an extraordinary compendium of over 91,000 reports covering the war in Afghanistan from 2004 to 2010.

The reports, while written by soldiers and intelligence officers mainly describing lethal military actions involving the United States military, also include intelligence information, reports of meetings with political figures, and related detail.

The document collection will shortly be available on a dedicated webpage.

The reports cover most units from the US Army with the exception of most US Special Forces' activities. The reports do not generally cover top-secret operations or European and other ISAF Forces operations.

We have delayed the release of some 15,000 reports from the total archive as part of a harm minimization process demanded by our source. After further review, these reports will be released, with occasional redactions, and eventually, in full, as the security situation in Afghanistan permits.

The wiki guy

Afghan leak: Wikileaks Julian Assange tells all - Channel 4 News

The guy who apparently leaked it all......does his mum know he's out
    U.S. Intelligence Analyst Arrested in Wikileaks Video Probe | Threat Level |

2. Ah yes--that wholly apolitical and neutral crusader Mr. Assange. We are indeed fortunate to have such a dedicated man looking out for us.
  3. Like or lump his politics try sticking 91,000 after action reports back in the box!!!

You'd be wise getting yourself a very thick pair of asbestos oven gloves
  4. ;-) Not my problem any more-I just hope it doesn't help Terry too much but for some reason I doubt Mr. Assange and his supporters are all that worried about that.
  5. You know, I read the story about this kid that leaked the information. Some people think he's a hero. I think he's a moron. You want people to know, fine. Take the information, secure it, put it away until *after* the goddamn war is over and don't spill it during ongoing operations.

I would think that treason may be a good charge for what he did, or espionage for that matter. Either way, I think they are going to send a strong signal to anyone else thinking of doing what that kid did.
  6. He's Australian...I don't think you can pin a treason charge on him.
  7. He's crossed the line this time.
    It's not just a matter of leaking 'sensational' gunship vid, this has a direct effect on opsec.
    There should be a legal way of extraditing him stateside.
    Also, there should be a way in which the newly announced cyber command can shut down his servers in Scandinavia.
    The only useful outcome could be a more balanced & tougher approach with ISI.
    DC can no longer credibly deny what has been a dysfunctional relationship since the early 80s.
  8. Yet another parallel with the Vietnam War: disillusioned functionaries leaking material.
  9. In that case, summary execution will do.

It's not as though anyone will object.
  10. Very true…
  11. Little prick will have totally****ed up the AUSCANUKUS stuff and for what? Nothing, I hope they ship him off to Uncle Sam
  12. The site is unreachable this morning. Looks like the spooks have done their job well!!
  13. try the Guardian, NY Times (sure to cheer up JJH) or Der Spiegel websites, it's pretty much all there. TBH, even as a mildly interested on-looker, there is not a lot there that surprises me (in broad brush strokes). Yes, some of the fine detail raised my eyebrows, but is any serious military observer surprised that we have conflicted Int, we're using UCAVs lots, that SF seem to have a life of their own*, that unfortunately we've mis-ID'd the En, that the En aren't just going to lie there and take a pounding from the air without try to buy some SAM?

Unfortunately, I've no doubt this will become a cause celebre amongst people such as Phil Shiner; but that is life when we work in a democracy!

*Well done the Rock-Apes for shooting at a US SF Operator!
  14. How did he get his hands on 91,000 documents in the first place?
  15. IIRC, unsecured computers that allowed him to burn to CD, DVD and via USB ports. Seriously, it's not hard to cruise around a network and find stuff like this. An age old problem of accessability vs security.....