Wifi range extender advice

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a house, and the Wifi router (in the living room) that came with the broadband doesn't reach too well onto the third floor, and there are bits of the second floor that are slightly ropey too.

I'm looking for something fairly basic; I just want reliable wifi all over the property, rather than any bells/whistles.

Can anyone reccomend a wifi extender or mesh network, or give the benefits in their opinion/experience of either approach?

Bought one of these in July. My WiFi is in the SE corner of the house and doesn’t reach conservatory in NW at all.
using this I can now stream netflix, YouTube etc as well as usual phone stuff.
uses same password as WiFi and has same name (with Ext at the end).

only niggles are if using an iPad or phone need to switch back to standa4d WiFi when in that part of house, also every now and then it needs a reset (maybe every few weeks and its either press reset button or turn off for a few seconds which is no hassle).

£14.99 at the movement.

TP-Link TL-WA850RE N300 Universal Range Extender, Broadband/Wi-Fi Extender, Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with 1 Ethernet Port, Plug and Play, Built-in Access Point Mode, UK Plug, White
by Amazon
Learn more: Amazon product

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
We have 2 of these:

NETGEAR WiFi Booster Range Extender - Covers up to 1200 sq ft and 20 devices with AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Signal Repeater (up to 1200 Mbps) and Compact Wall Plug Design with UK Plug (EX6120)​

1609175626695.png

About £35 each from Amazon.
Our house is a solid brick 1850s farmhouse
With these we get reliable wifi all over the house.
Easy to set up.

Tyk

LE
One option that I've found reliable (3 floor stone built house) is powerline type ethernet adaptors (plenty of brands on the market that do ethernet over power lines), one at the main router, one on the attic floor with an uncomplicated wifi router on the attic floor.
Basically hook the input of the upstairs router to an ethernet port of the downstairs one, job jobbed and not expensive.

bentobox

War Hero
I just went the website that I used to find my Netgear setup to see that they now have a new favorite. Useful article also expands on the whole mesh "thing".

As previously mentioned, and with respect to the other posters if you can afford it I would try and go the mesh route, as we are moving to so many devices relying on wi fi.

Depending on your needs will determine what to spend . As the CO is now a permanent fixture working in the house and as she does like a change of scenery throughout the day I'm installing Unifi Access points on the 3 levels.
I do have the luxury of being able to get cables on all 3 levels to central points in the property
If its good enough for AV companies to fit in posh houses then more than good for me

These bad boys

tgo

LE
Depending on your needs will determine what to spend . As the CO is now a permanent fixture working in the house and as she does like a change of scenery throughout the day I'm installing Unifi Access points on the 3 levels.
I do have the luxury of being able to get cables on all 3 levels to central points in the property
If its good enough for AV companies to fit in posh houses then more than good for me

These bad boys

Pretty much the same as the tp-link M5 mesh, apart from the fact, you get 2x Ethernet per mesh unit, and it's also faster. (1300 Mbps)

M5 Deco

I'll add I have the 3 puck setup and it (unlike power lines) doesn't lose any connection so I'm getting the full 110 Mbps of my connection, plus the fact I can plug in 2 Ethernet devices per puck means I can run things like my security cams and air radar pi wired rather than on a Wi-Fi connection. You can also, if you need to add additional units for greater coverage up to a max of 10 (although after 5 or 6 units the law of diminishing returns kicks in) Oh and unlike 'Wi-Fi extenders' you don't lose half your signal to double your range, you get the full signal as long as you are in range of one of the units, plus they switch seamlessly as you move through the house so you always get the best signal.

I think they're fcuking great, especially as my VM superhub 3 Wi-Fi is so crap I had lots of dead areas in my house and having tried power lines, found that the losses were too high plus random dropouts made my teeth itch.

Last edited:

tiktok90

Old-Salt
I use this TP link kit to get wireless out in my garage. TP AV1000

Works really well most of the time. I have had it drop the link on a couple of occasions but I think that it is probably down to me not using it at all for a few weeks and it going to sleep.

I've been able to get it to clone my main wifi network so my phones etc transfer seemlessly.

@Tappet this one also has an ethernet port on the extender so you can also get a solid wired connection if you have a desk near it.

Cheers gents.

Pretty much the same as the tp-link M5 mesh, apart from the fact, you get 2x Ethernet per mesh unit, and it's also faster. (1300 Mbps)

M5 Deco

I'll add I have the 3 puck setup and it (unlike power lines) doesn't lose any connection so I'm getting the full 110 Mbps of my connection, plus the fact I can plug in 2 Ethernet devices per puck means I can run things like my security cams and air radar pi wired rather than on a Wi-Fi connection. You can also, if you need to add additional units for greater coverage up to a max of 10 (although after 5 or 6 units the law of diminishing returns kicks in) Oh and unlike 'Wi-Fi extenders' you don't lose half your signal to double your range, you get the full signal as long as you are in range of one of the units, plus they switch seamlessly as you move through the house so you always get the best signal.

I think they're fcuking great, especially as my VM superhub 3 Wi-Fi is so crap I had lots of dead areas in my house and having tried power lines, found that the losses were too high plus random dropouts made my teeth itch.

The Ubiquiti gear is “fcuking great” up to a point. That point being when you need to add the Security Gateway to get the full functionality. At which point it becomes “fcuking pants”. The WiFi gear is great, but the router is shite. Falls over for a pastime. Drops flows for a pastime. If it worked, the idea is great, the GUI is lovely, but I can‘t be doing with having to reset the router every 24-48 hrs. I have 3x APs and a USG in a box, pending eBay disposal.

Much prefer having separate router and WiFi Infra. But probably beyond the OP’s scope.

I saw a WiFi extender in Aldi today for $12.99. That would probably do the OP. For those with meshed WiFi, it’ll probably be ID’d as a rogue and kicked out of the network.

Mesh rather than signal boosters/extenders, always. Otherwise you're boosting the noise along with the signal.

TP-Link's stuff is dead cheap for what it does. If at all possible, get the tri-band versions so the network between the mesh nodes is on a different channel to the ones between the nodes and the users.