WiFi in the block

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by secret_squirrel1989, May 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, I'm living in the new Z-type accom in Tidworth, where the internet connection runs into the room via a RJ45 Ethernet cable, and is provided by MediaForce where you have to log into the internet account each time you start up... Is it possible to run this through a wireless router so I can use the laptop wirelessly, and not have to log into MediaForce every time?

Cheers all for any help,
    Squirrel.

2. It could be done using a secondary laptop & enabling Internet sharing. Depending on how you log into the account, you may also be able to it using a router.

3. Login to the account is done via the internet browser, have to open up google chrome, and the browser immediately redirects to the mediaforce login page. Dont know if there is any way to have these login details loaded onto a router so it is permanently online??

Squirrel.

4. Same set-up where I am, and there are several people with wifi networks. Whether the router will stay logged in permanently or not needn't be an issue.

5. do you know how they have set this up? I dont know what to do to configure the router for it...

Squirrel.

6. I shall ask my geeky friend, and get back to you.

7. Cheers mate!

Squirrel.

8. Cheers mate!

Squirrel.

9. Is certainly one option. Windows 7 allows you to create a wifi network without any additional software, as do earlier versions of Windows (though apparently they are awkward to set up). My geeky friend uses his mac book, which he says is far simpler than a windows-based pc to set up for this.

These all require two machines, which I guess is not the original intent, in which case, geek-boy recommends this (yes, it's an Apple product, but it works with PCs). If you already have a router going spare, he reckons it should be possible to configure it to be connected to the ethernet connection, bypassing the modem, so that it acts as a network switch with wireless capability, but might take a bit of fannying around. I've googled and googled, but can't find anything that compares to the Airport.

10. Be aware that adding a router may however wind up effecting your ability to play the Xbox or Playstation online. I went through Sabre in Aldershot and when a router was added the NAT settings wound up being raised to severe meaning it was impossible to play with people who had open settings. The garrison service providers tend not to be very helpful when it comes to solving issues such as this.

11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

you can configure a wireless router so it redirects the upstream for you as a form of network repeater for you and anyone within range if you leave it open.

you will still have to log in via the home page but you wont be tied to the wire.

it might be possible to log in via the setup pages within the router but as you wont be wired direct into the dsl it might not take it.

12. Squirrel,

What you need is a wireless router for "cable connections" and the wired MAC address of a games console. The WAN port of the router must be an RJ45 ethernet connection and support MAC address cloning. The WAN port connection needs to be configured to use DHCP and clone the MAC address of the games console, you will need to phone Mediaforce and request that they link the MAC address to your account. You will also need to configure it to use NAT on the WAN port. I got this working with a Linksys WRT54G2 router, they do check the MAC addresses to make sure they are for games consoles and not routers that's why you need to clone the games console MAC address. If you need any further help just ask..

Geek

13. Right, I've got this Media Force internet jobbie in the block, I want to play my xbox but it's not having it. Anyone had any luck or can help me?

14. Hey - Ive just signed up for MediaForce internet at Northwood and getting 22MBS speed, Im not bothered about using Xbox, or not typing in username or password details each time, but just want to be able to set up a wifi network to use it on my ipad and iphone - does anyone know if it is as simple as plugging in the cable into a wifi router and then connecting??

Cheers