Wifi and Wlan expert needed

#1
Or just someone who knows a bit about it.

I want to mount a wifi system in a People carrier as a POC exercise, what do I need kit wise, and how do I maintain a connection , and a fast one, without having to go to the phone networks if possible?

If I have to use one of the bloated robbing bastige phone networks , which one will give me a fast connection at a reasonable price?

All replies much appreciated

PTP
 
#4
Proof of concept.
 
F

fozzy

Guest
#5
PartTimePongo said:
Or just someone who knows a bit about it.

I want to mount a wifi system in a People carrier as a POC exercise, what do I need kit wise, and how do I maintain a connection , and a fast one, without having to go to the phone networks if possible?

If I have to use one of the bloated robbing bastige phone networks , which one will give me a fast connection at a reasonable price?

All replies much appreciated

PTP
The only reasonable way of doing it is to have a 3G card in one of the lap tops and use it as a gateway - pricey. Or if you are in a highstreet and there is a WLAN AP (ie BT Openzone) you could connect to that - but obviously the range is a bit limited

I have a Orange 3G/GPRS data card and it can get expensive if I use it to connect to the net when out of range of a WLAN.

How much do you wish to spend?
 
#6
PartTimePongo said:
I want to mount a wifi system in a People carrier as a POC exercise, what do I need kit wise?
I'm not an expert PTP but I'd say you probably need:

1. A wifi

2. A People carrier.

Best of luck mate .
 
#7
G3Ops said:
PartTimePongo said:
I want to mount a wifi system in a People carrier as a POC exercise, what do I need kit wise?
I'm not an expert PTP but I'd say you probably need:

1. A wifi

2. A People carrier.

Best of luck mate :wink:
Don't forget, you'll need someone to fit it too. :wink:
 
#8
I'd suggest that if you are going to mount anything in the back of a people carrier that you black out the windows and take care to avoid the police.

A people carrier is definitely better than a straight saloon or hatchback in terms of comfort and headroom; you can get into all sorts of positions in one.

Are you simply a dogger? Try here:

http://www.swingingheaven.co.uk/dogging/

I
 
#10
I kind of half thought posting in the QM's and MT , I'd get a half serious answer?

Either a people carrier or a minibus type vehicle, I need fast internet access while the vehicle is on the move.
 
#11
Wifi will not have a great range - how far away will the receiving station be?

msr
 
#12
PTP,
I suggest that you utilise the laptop scenario. It makes no difference whether you are in a people carrier or the Ark Royal! The point is that you will be mobile and the best method of obtaining high speed access is by use of a 3G card or equiv. The alternative is several miles of broadband cable lol....

Best of Luck

Orange Broadband (mobile)
 
#13
Won't project FALCON deliver this?

msr
 
#14
Do you have a vehicle yet? I would recommend a VW Caravelle or Transporter TDI, 100MPH plus, 35 mpg and they do a 4x4 also. Best of all you can move around in it whilst on the move, there are various mobile office/communications vehicles based on this VW and its no bigger than an Espace.

No help on the wifi bit though :?
 
#15
PTP,

Unless you want to have a vehicle that looks like this:



and to only use it when stationary, I think that you will have to use a 3G data service as already pointed out. You say that you need a 'fast' connection - how fast do you want? The 3G networks currently are not running at full speed and the coverage outside of major conurbations is very poor.

Out of interest what do you intend demonstrating the vehicles being used for - mobile porn cinema?
 
#16
How you connect your devices (laptops, PDA's etc) within the vehicle is irrellivent, you will still need to exit your network onto the Internet. The quickest and easyest was to achieve this is with a gprs data card on at least 1 of your laptops. The more devices hitting the net through the card, the more contention, and the slower the internet will be.

Vodaphone do a data card, either contract or pay as you go. The contract one retails around a hundred quid, with a quid a megabyte ongoing data charge.

Feel free to pm me for some specifics mate.

Boney
 
#17
In the US Cisco 3200 series mobile routers are being put in police cars and other public safety vehicles as it allows the police cars mobile data terminals to connect back to police systems via packet radio, WLAN or GPRS networks.

I have seen demonstrations of the police cars continuously transmitting video from the dashboard cam with the video frame rate changing as bandwidth changes - always transitioning smoothly between all three connection types. It also allows them to upload or download data automatically when the car is parked up at the station at the start or the end of the shift. As a bonus the kit is all fully ruggedised and runs off 12v.

If you then want to get really geeky, you can then act as a mobile hotspot for the vehicles around you....
 
#18
expat said:
In the US Cisco 3200 series mobile routers are being put in police cars and other public safety vehicles as it allows the police cars mobile data terminals to connect back to police systems via packet radio, WLAN or GPRS networks.

I have seen demonstrations of the police cars continuously transmitting video from the dashboard cam with the video frame rate changing as bandwidth changes - always transitioning smoothly between all three connection types. It also allows them to upload or download data automatically when the car is parked up at the station at the start or the end of the shift. As a bonus the kit is all fully ruggedised and runs off 12v.

If you then want to get really geeky, you can then act as a mobile hotspot for the vehicles around you....
But those devices are only cleared by the FCC and may not be allowed in or conform to UK and Euro specs.

PTP mount a sat dish on your arrse and smile while some transvestite follows you around. Mobile computer comms is a ways off............
 
#19
ctauch said:
expat said:
In the US Cisco 3200 series mobile routers are being put in police cars and other public safety vehicles as it allows the police cars mobile data terminals to connect back to police systems via packet radio, WLAN or GPRS networks.

I have seen demonstrations of the police cars continuously transmitting video from the dashboard cam with the video frame rate changing as bandwidth changes - always transitioning smoothly between all three connection types. It also allows them to upload or download data automatically when the car is parked up at the station at the start or the end of the shift. As a bonus the kit is all fully ruggedised and runs off 12v.

If you then want to get really geeky, you can then act as a mobile hotspot for the vehicles around you....
But those devices are only cleared by the FCC and may not be allowed in or conform to UK and Euro specs.

PTP mount a sat dish on your arrse and smile while some transvestite follows you around. Mobile computer comms is a ways off............
The devices are cleared for use in the UK - a number of train operating companies are using them to provide wireless internet access on trains, switching between GPRS, WiMAX and satellite signals.
 
#20
PartTimePongo said:
Or just someone who knows a bit about it.

I want to mount a wifi system in a People carrier as a POC exercise, what do I need kit wise, and how do I maintain a connection , and a fast one, without having to go to the phone networks if possible?

If I have to use one of the bloated robbing bastige phone networks , which one will give me a fast connection at a reasonable price?

All replies much appreciated

PTP
Hmm. I AM a networking expert (at least that's what all my certificates say, and what I've been doing for a job for the past 5 years). First some questions.

1. Do you want an internet connection or just so that people can see your radio signal from your car in the field?

2. How much are you willing to spend?

3. What kind of ground are you looking to operate over?

And here are some basic answers to help you along.

Wireless range. A basic 802.11b\g device should give you a radius (in the clear) about the size of a football pitch. Many devices (such as the ones made by Buffalo) have optional external anntenne which can increase this range manyfold. Some older wireless base stations\transmitters allowed you to ramp up the signal power to a level you needed. This has now been stopped because of legislation restricting radio emissions from such devices.

Internet access. I won't go into specifics, but any device you wish to access the internet must go through your laptop first (acting as a gateway) Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing can handle this easily, failing that a Linux distribution might prove more robust. Obtaining the internet might prove more problamatical in more remote training areas. Below are two links explaing devices to use (PCMCIA card based) and sppeds you can expect.

http://www.orange.co.uk/business/corporate/office/accessoffice/internet_link_and_3g.html
http://www.2u.co.uk/phones/vodafone...aptop-datacard-internet-access-connection.php

In theory it is all quite easy to do (providing of course you know what to do to begin with) but my experiances with mobile devices such as Plam, Pocket PC etc are that they like to drop their connections at the drop of a hat the minute you start to move.
Anyhoo, good luck :)
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S RLC 4
Filbert Fox Army Pay, Claims & JPA 3
MarkOnesBroken Gaming and Software 17

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads