Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by meridian, Oct 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Now you know where to live

2. Is there a graph showing what percentage of these women actually deserved it? My guess would be most of them.
  3. It is just wrong to raise your hand to your wife!

I gave mine a good back-hander and hurt my hand............
    So take my advice and use a stick!
  4. and here we go again
  5. [​IMG]

my work here is done..
  6. Is that the new Union Jack (/Flag/whatever)?
  7. Is it time to bring this back

The 'rule of thumb' has been said to derive from the belief that English law allowed a man to beat his wife with a stick so long as it is was no thicker than his thumb. In 1782, Judge Sir Francis Buller is reported as having made this legal ruling and in the following year James Gillray published a satirical cartoon attacking Buller and caricaturing him as 'Judge Thumb'. The cartoon shows a man beating a fleeing woman and Buller carrying two bundles of sticks. The caption reads "thumbsticks - for family correction: warranted lawful!
  8. The Middle East is another wife beating hotspot....they even show it on local TV...in the UK there would be outrage....Lebanise soaps...it really popular.....thats why most birds are covered up ...to hide the bruises :x
  9. I get many of these tragic cases here myself. Bruised, battered, broken, bleeding young ladies abused by their other halves. I take backhanders (not the same sort as them) from the bloke - patch em up and send em home for the next round. Also, if you ever need your kids 'medically examined', PM me and we'll sort something out.
  10. You could start a new business Jonno and offer your expert services to the husbands that just aren't quite man enough to inflict a good beating.
  11. [​IMG]

I note a few areas where the percentage is very low. Is that because the women are so tough that they do the beatings?
  12. Is that just the map for inner London??
  13. No, it's an arty farty representation of 'Broken Britain' :D
  14. I do believe that a Mr Reni esq started a thread on this very same topic a while back.

If in doubt, give 'em a clout!!!!
  15. This dispicable activity continues, long after 'thumbsticks' ceased to feature; witness:

Judge: Murphy, this is the third time you've been up before me for the same charge. Why do you keep beating your wife?

Murphy: Well, I think it's superior footwork, your honour!