Widows Pension? - Help needed

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by ches, Jan 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Dad died last week & i'm trying to find out if my mum is entitled to a widows pension of some sort. Have to admit i have no idea about these things so thought i'd ask the great & good here for some advice before getting on the phones officially if it looks promising.

My Dad did just under 10yrs, 56-66 & left as a Sgt. He immediately joined the civil service & got a pension from them when he retired in 94. He never received an Army pesnion.

I know about the recent rules regarding 12yrs service for entitlement on the personal pension but does anyone know the status based on historic service & possible entitlement to a widows pension now?

I am assuming that as he never received a pension upon retirement for whatever reason (anyone have a clue why? Same basic entitelment rules in place in the 50/60's?) she isn't entitled to anything now.

Thanks in advance.

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I'm afraid anyone who left with less than 22 years service prior to April 1975 has no military pension enitltement
    Ministry of Defence | About Defence | What we do | Personnel | SPVA | Pensions

So in answer to your final question, no I'm afraid your mother is not entitled to a widows pension.
    I assume she will however receive a widows pension from the civil service.

3. OB, thanks for that. Should have searched MOD site myself. Apologies.