WI-FI dongle

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by 1_reeper, Oct 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. Can anyone recommend a WI-FI dongle for my laptop(VISTA) so i can connect my IPhone wireless to the laptop? Thanks

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Sure you got that right,A WI_FI dongle will give your laptop internet conection but you can bluetooth your phone to most modern Netbook/ Laptops without any device

3. The Troppster is correct. I can't understand what you're trying to achieve?

If you have wireless internet at home, then connect directly to your wireless router with the iphone.

If you just want to connect it to the laptop, use bluetooth, or the USB cable.

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Not with an iPhone for tethering you can't, and it is also much slower.

The Netgear N versions are not bad at about £30, but if you are going to have to use a dongle, why not just use the iPhone USB cable? Most modern laptops should have wireless built in, however basic it is.

5. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Now I only used WI-FI dongles, and have three 7.2Mbps, one on contract and the others on £10 per gig prepayment all from T mobile and here in Wales find them bloody wonderfull, I don't spend enough time in my house to make it worth having a landline so I only use a mobile and WI-FI so I can be totally mobile

6. Thanks chaps. What i was trying to achieve was doing away with having to tether it every time i wanted to download a big app. I have wired net connection anyway so was trying the wireless route. Guess i'll stick to the tethered option or wait until i go somewhere where they offer free wi-fi like Mc d's or the like

7. 3 do a jobby called mii which acts as a wi fi hotspot for up to 5 devices and gives 5gb net a month for 15 quid a month

just go to the 3 website

8. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Couldn't agree more - I've got one and rate them very highly

9. I think this-IEEE 802.11B/G Wireless WIFI Dongle Bridge, maybe can help you. It can operate with any ethernet-enabled devices, such as desktop computer, network printer, laptop computer, Router, ADSL, or a security camera. It is operating system independent and can be used with any Microsoft Windows, Linux or MAC OS operating system.