Why would you do it

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by down_under, Jul 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was watching Battle Stripes (I know it's an old show) the other night and couldn't help but wonder why the hell would you let yourself come across on tele as SGT Tickle did (PERSEC irrelevant in this case?). Did these blokes not have a say in what was shown or filmed? I realise it's an old show but geezus you'd forever be haunted by the outcome.

2. I understand Mr Tickle has turned into quite a bloke now. He has just completed a stint back at Brecon as DS and I'm told is an excellent operator.

As far as the students on the cse during the filming - and there are probably a few on here somewhere, why would they have had a say in what was broadcast? The series was about them and their cse, if it makes the cse seem hard and capable of turning a bloke into an utter wreck then all the better - particularly if it turns him into a better SNCO. Even is he was QLR!

PS - Can I borrow it?!

3. What is it? What did he do wrong?

4. OZDUKE, may ask what is wrong with QLR?

5. May I?

6. It was a documentary of a PLSGT course at Brecon prior to GW2 I think . Said SGT was hounded (as is the perception simply through footage shown) by cse instructors and basically made out to be a complete tw@t due to some difficulties he had. But they never showed him achieving the aim in some of the courses difficult stages like being part of the only Platoon to make the 16k stomp around the standard Brecon area. Very one eyed towards him I thought.

7. Is this available online anywhere to watch??

Had a flick through youtube but no joy, unless I am being a real mong!! :D

Cheers N_W.

8. No idea mate, we had it shown on normal tele here (Oz) a few years ago. I had a mate who had a copy of the full series when he was at Brecon. Overall I thought it was a great show and you certianly knew you had achieved something by the end of that course.

9. Yea, I think the original was shown on sky here. Alas, never saw it. Would be interested to see what the course was like from a non INF point of view. Have heard all the horror stories from being attached to Infantry units.

Fair play to those that complete the course though.

Cheers N_W.

10. You mean more it's tougher than 2 weeks at Singo!?

11. Certainly is a tougher course than our PLSGT CSE I'd agree, but ours is now a 12 week combined OFFR/NCO course now with a rather good ops phase at the end. I think the mentality of combining was to let both sides of the fence learn from one another as each would have different strengths.

12. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Been trying to find a link for this, but no joy - anyone know where you could have a ganders of this on the net?

Cheers bru!