Why were successful WW2 US generals fired but contemporary unsuccessful generals retained?

lextalionis

War Hero
What "war"? The war ended a few months into 2003.

It's up to the politicians to come up with a plan for the countries to run themselves. Is the army now supposed to dictate politics?
No; the initial invasion ended in 2003. The American and Allied forces never successfully conquered the country, they merely toppled the incumbent regime.

No; the initial invasion ended in 2003. The American and Allied forces never successfully conquered the country, they merely toppled the incumbent regime.

They were never supposed to conquer and run the country. Thats why Iraq had elections in early 2005, so once again is the British Army supposed to dictate to the Iraqi government how to run its own country?

I stumbled upon the 2011 'Nimitz Lectures' at Berkley, where Thomas E. Ricks, a Senior Fellow at the Center for a New American Security (CNAS), leads with a question, "Why was Terry Allen, commander of the US 1st Inf Div, and most successful divisional commander the US had in WW2, who never lost a battle, fired by Omar Bradley, when contemporary US generals always screw up and never get fired.?"

George C Marshall fired two hundred generals and colonels from what he termed , America's 4th Grade Army, and used the Louisiana Manoeuvres to sort the chaff from the wheat.
I like some of the names the divisional commanders had, the ones who took divisions from those manoeuvres to Europe, Brig. Samuel Tankersley Williams, aka, 'Hanging Sam' Williams, was one. He did later get relieved of command and bust back to Colonel for arguing, but being relieved was not a career ender in WW2. Of the 4 Corps commanders and 16 Division commanders who were relieved, all were reassigned and some were again given command of troops in action. 'Hanging Sam' commanded the 25th Inf in Korea and in fact retired as a 3 Star.
General Simon Bolivar Buckner Jr. son of a Confederate General, was so critical of the navy's jobsworth attitude he penned a humorous poem which the navy did not find funny, and he was almost fired by Marshall

In far Alaska’s ice spray, I stand beside my binnacle
And scan the waters through the fog for fear of some rocky pinnacle
Projecting from unfathomed depths may break my hull asunder
and Place my name upon the list of those who made a blunder.
Volcanic peaks beneath the waves are likely any morning
To smash my ships to tiny bits without the slightest warning

I dread the toll from reef and shoal that rip off keel and rudder
And send our bones to Davey Jones—the prospect makes me shudder.

The Bering Sea is not for me, nor my fleet headquarters
In moral dread I look ahead in wild Aleutian waters
Where hidden reefs and williwaws and terrifying critters
Unnerve me quite with woeful fright and give me fits and jitters.
( History.net article on Buckner and also his poem )

(During the invasion of Okinawa, while at a forward OP, General Buckner Jr later became famous as the most senior US General to be killed in combat).

Mr Ricks concludes that by not punishing failure in Iraq and Afghanistan the US could not reward success, therefore the US has bred a mediocre officer corps fit only to achieve stalemates, not victories.

Not having a pop at our cousins, our own crop seem more focussed on winning PC battles than muck and bullets wars.

Worth a watch

on my feed today

ricks.png

It was never the intent to subjugate the Iraqi people. The fight was with the Iraqi Armed forces and Iraqi government leaders.

Latest Threads