Why were civilian deaths by the army so high during the Troubles?

According to what I have read the Army was responsible for more killings of innocent people than they were people affiliated with paramilitary groups.

Why was this the case?

Not knowing combat, I would assume that maybe during gunfights lots of civilians may have been accidentally killed?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

According to what I have read the Army was responsible for more killings of innocent people than they were people affiliated with paramilitary groups.

Why was this the case?

Not knowing combat, I would assume that maybe during gunfights lots of civilians may have been accidentally killed?

To be honest, some of those little pink civvy faces were just begging to have half a mag emptied into them.

Then, like Pringles, once they pop, you just can't stop.

Why was this the case?

Read? I doubt it.

We had more guns.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Because the PIRA "soldiers" suddenly became innocent bystanders when they became casualties! :)

Why was this the case?

I read the moon is made out of cheese, I have nothing to substantiate that claim, just like you have nothing to substantiate yours.

Mrsheeny

Old-Salt

Why was this the case?

Jeremy Corbyn Walt

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
If ever there was one, the poster has placed a loaded question' Why doesn't he come clean and relate where his leanings lie?
The IRA had one great advantage over the military, and that was the wearing of 'Civilian clothes' it gave them an advantage and the ability to kill when they chose, and who they chose, and very often their own people.

@The Aviator

hang in there pal... you be glad you asked the question in the end...

...perhaps.

Wait though, on second thoughts, you‘ll probably wish you’d gone to the provisional wing of the CorbynMcDonnell Friends of Terrorists Worldwide with your drivel.

Nato123

War Hero

Why was this the case?

Dunno what did you read?..... or did these 'Civilians' happen to be wearing black balaclavas and carrying firearms at the time of their completely justifiable and well celebrated. sorry, I mean their unfortunate death?

Thanks for the replies guys.

First and foremost let me just apologise if my post came across as rude. That was absolutely not my intention and perhaps I should have worded it more sensitively.

Let me be clear that the IRA was an awful organisation and the people who prevented them from determining the future of Northern Ireland through violence are heroes and I am sure there are some people here who were involved in this. I take my hat off to veterans who were involved in stopping this cruel organisation.

First and foremost let me just apologise if my post came across as rude. That was absolutely not my intention and perhaps I should have worded it more sensitively.

Let me be clear that the IRA was an awful organisation and the people who prevented them from determining the future of Northern Ireland through violence are heroes and I am sure there are some people here who were involved in this. I take my hat off to veterans who were involved in stopping this cruel organisation.
I read a statistic only this morning that the Army were responsible for only 9% of deaths (and the VAST majority of those were terrorists) and Republican terrorists were responsible for 76%.

——
1574968689794.jpeg

just noticed the spelling mistake... image from somebody selling emergency exit signs on t’interweb. Here

Latest Threads