Why we should reintroduce Section Attacks to recuit training

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Bravo_Bravo, Aug 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Prelims; yes I am aware of what the main effort is.

The Fieldcraft part of recruit training has largely been phased out; we no longer even teach Pairs Fire and Manoevre. We do still teach CBRN, spend many lessons on drill ( including saluting - sorry, Dave :D ) as well as BCDT, map reading, shooting and eg. Values and Standards.

I've been involved in recruit training for some time and noted that there was a certain difference in attitude between the recruits that had, and had not done the Section Attack phase. They somehow seemed keener, more soldierly and had an overall better attitude, IME, towards soldiering. A bit of steel in the soul.

Lets look at what the guys learned, apart from, obviously, the six Section Battle Drills.

1. The Orders process - an introduction.
    Demonstration of Battle Procedure so that every man knows what task is expected of him. Shows he is part of a much larger team, and even at Rifleman level, an important part. Demonstrates that soldiers will / should know what task they have, and what is expected of them.

2. The importance of fitness.
    A section attack, even in light scales, no CBA and blank, is hard physical work. The blokes will be chinstrapped very quickly and lack of fitness will become immediately obvious; this being demonstrated to their peer group will be a powerful motivator to get and keep fit.

3. Teamwork
    Obvious; "every man a link man"; "Charlie fire, Delta MOVE"; the importance of passage of information; awareness of the immediate battlespace - what your mates are doing, and why.

4. Hierarchy.
    Similar to teamwork, but a clear demonstration of the importance of the Secxtion Comander and the need for rapid comprehension and execution of eg. FCOs, QBOs, etc. A subset of "Knowledge of the Grouping system".

5. Weapon handling - the importance of rapidly clearing a stoppage, with the very real incentive of the rough edge of the Section / Fire Team commanders tongue. Also helps prepare the recruit for those nasty, shouty regulars at CIC.

6. "This is your bread and butter"
    I do feel that the Section Attack was a bit of a rite of passage for the recruit; it was very hard to coast, assuming the DS are on the ball, and it encapsulates so much of what we are trying to teach, in particular in terms of attitude.

7 Fieldcraft - encapsulated.
    Obesrvation / Target indication / FCOs / Cam and Con

I suggest that the current syllabus is too acedemic in emphasis and the blokes need to spend some time on their belt buckles. ( Plus, the DS love it. ) The rudiments can be taught and ran through in a morning; combine the attack with an insertion / exttraction tab and you can incorporate one of the PT sessions; possibly drop one of the BCDT and Drill lessons and enough time could be found IMO.

Thoughts?

2. I am gobsmacked that this isn't taught to recruits. Astonishing.

3. Me three. What other key skills have they dropped by stealth?

4. Out of interest what arm are you? I'm infantry and we were tought section attacks, with the Battalion and at the RTC

SAB

5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Surely it's part of the training package during their two weeks at CIC/CMSR, no?

6. I'm Inf and a visiting Instructor at an RTC.

7. I'm not sure traning is structured the same between Brigades but mine consisted of:

CMSR - 4 weekends at the RTC, 3 weekends with the Battalion.

On RT3 we were in the field and despite not having any blank ammunition we were introduced to the basics of a section attack, patrolling, and camo and concealment, All of us grasped it quite well. I'm not sure if it was part of the syllabus but most of the DS were Inf anyway.

On RT7 we were back in the field again abeilt this time with our Inf battalion, the best part of a day was spent on teaching and practicing section attacks and pairs fire and maneuver, that evening we were out on an ambush patrol aswell. The following day was spent doing the CFT and the 'actual' section attack immediatly after.

And in response to RP578, as far as i know its a central part of the TA CIC.

SAB

PS - edited for mong spelling

8. Opinion (So I'll stand by to be ripped to shreds for being 1) out of date, 2) Infantry minded, 3) a dinosaur 4) blah blah blah)

Section level tactics should be the bread and butter of soldiering for all arms/trades. In these days of asymmetrical warfare with a fluid front line and an enemy that is often active in the rear (stop it!) every soldier ought to know how to rally together with whoever is around and launch a "section" attack or whatever low level tactical move is required. Fire and manoeuvre is basic soldiering surely?

I was infantry but this was taught long before we did our two week recruit cadre.

9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Billy the whistle - the starting point of every recruits training. B_B,if you are not using it - start now!

10. Aaah, my mate Billy! Single-note instrument of much misery / mirth depending on wether you are pup or DS...!

11. I have recently done CMSR again as a transferee, and yes it has been dropped. but we did shitloads of them on CIC.

12. Section attack training for recruits?? The very thought!!! It would mean they would have to cut down on something important such as equality and diversity training for heavens sake!

Far better that men die due to lack of training than risk them telling offensive jokes!

13. I almost sued you, you Cad!!!

I turned away at the last second or Id've ruined my laptop (again) and billed you for spraying vodka n cola!!!

Nice one - that was almost an absolute shower!!!! :D

14. It's all part of an ongoing plan to emasculate the military and convert everyone into lentil eating, sandal wearing environmentalists.

Before long they will make it a crime to set fire to orphanages and watch them burn.