"Why vegetarians should be force fed with lard"

oldbaldy

LE
And what were you looking for when you found that gem?
Slow Friday?

I skimmed over a lot of it, so forgive me if I missed it, but I didn't really notice any mention of people being vegetarians because they don't like the idea of something alive being killed for their own use. I say 'alive' I really mean something that is alive and has big cute eyes so you can feel bad about killing it.
The point I did like was the hippies feeding their babies all vegetarian diets and getting ill. I'll have to remember that one as something to avoid.

I'm not a vegetarian by the way, I'm no poof.

Groucho Marx summed it up perfectly (as always)

I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat animals who are.

I'm liking the farmer isn't cruel bit

"In the wild, a sheep would have to look for food, compete for it, jockey for position in the herd, look out for predators, guard its offspring, and it one day would die because of some accident, perhaps a fall, some nasty illness, or it would become weak and have its throat ripped out by the local predators. By striking contrast, the life of a farmed sheep is rather different. A farmed sheep has complete protection from predators; all the food of exactly its favourite kind at its feet all day every day, for which it does not have to compete; no competition for mates; no need to guard offspring; free health care; free haircuts; it is very unlikely to die in childbirth, and unlikely to die a nasty death"

Sheep, free haircuts and vegetarianism

Excellent

I'm liking the farmer isn't cruel bit

"In the wild, a sheep would have to look for food, compete for it, jockey for position in the herd, look out for predators, guard its offspring, and it one day would die because of some accident, perhaps a fall, some nasty illness, or it would become weak and have its throat ripped out by the local predators. By striking contrast, the life of a farmed sheep is rather different. A farmed sheep has complete protection from predators; all the food of exactly its favourite kind at its feet all day every day, for which it does not have to compete; no competition for mates; no need to guard offspring; free health care; free haircuts; it is very unlikely to die in childbirth, and unlikely to die a nasty death"

Sheep, free haircuts and vegetarianism

Excellent

Next post down from the article is the really interesting one...
"Why Vegetarians Should Be Fed Lard"...

...is the humourous title of an essay written by my good friend Nikolas Lloyd ("Lloyd" to his friends), which intelligently argues against all the reasons vegetarians give you for giving up meat.

It's well thought out, rational (no militant ranting here), and is an interesting and thought provoking read, whatever your point of view.

It sat, among many other articles, on his "Lloydian Aspects" website - which was hosted by his employer, Newcastle University.

And then it attracted the attention of the users of a vegetarian dating website, who in their attempts to impress each other, took it upon themselves to complain to the University. I'll reproduce Lloyd's description of events below.

In case you are interested, some vegetarians using the forum of a vegetarian dating agency decided to write in to the University complaining that my web pages were offensive. They failed to spot the humour in the title "Why vegetarians should be force fed with lard" and claimed to have been wounded by the page. They complained several times that it was "inaccurate" without at any point saying what facts on it were incorrect. They were, of course, just trying to impress each other. They also complained about other pages on my web-site, presumably despite not having actually read them. Anyway, displaying a staggering disregard for freedom of speech, the University, instead of sending a simple polite reply to the complainers saying that nothing much would happen, caved in to the demands of the e-mails, and banned me instantly without telling me the arguments used against me, and without notice or opportunity of appeal. The scandal has already made the pages of the Times Higher Educational Supplement. If you are interested in issues of free speech, or want to express your disappointment that you can no longer visit my site, you might like to write to Newcastle University to tell them your view on this matter.

I've offered to host the page here - stay tuned for follow ups.
Looks like Newcastle University values random emails from VegiNazis more highly than freedom of speech. Makes you wonder what they would have done if someone published a cartoon denigrating vegetables...

pdf - Stunning
Is there a Newcastle Uni Email Address or website to bombard?

Veggies of the world unite - 500 miles west of the Scily Isles please,

he missed - "and if you are not supposed to eat animals - how come god made them out of meat?"

Vegitarians, are on my list right next to gwars.

Rincewind

oldbaldy

LE
Vegetables aren't food.
Food eats vegetables