Why the Titanic was Doomed - a book by Bryan Jackson

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
After 110 years, various documentaries and films, I thought everything that could have been said about the disaster that befell the Titanic had already been said. How wrong was I? In this new volume, Mr. Jackson presents a list of fourteen reasons why the maiden voyage was doomed , including events before the keel was laid. These include a number of events that, taken individually, would have meant little, but when combined, and added to the bad decisions taken by persons at the time created the perfect storm.

1653729042260.jpeg

The later sections on the Numbers are illuminating. Who knew that more male passengers survived than female, for instance? He presents reasons why this should be. I liked his Timeline and the section on ‘What ifs?’

The final chapter, exposing Harland & Wolf’s cover-up of who knew what and when, is quite shocking, and teaches us that corruption and corporate reputation protection have always taken precedence over human safety. Perhaps a few modern journalists would benefit from reading it!

I really enjoyed this book, its simple style and organised presentation of information, with reference to sources current at the time made it easy to absorb a lot of information. The pictures were very interesting and appropriate.

I donated the book to our autistic Great Nephew, who is utterly obsessed with the Titanic, even to the point that he argued about the facts of the disaster with a descendant of a survivor! He will treasure this book.

Five mushroom heads.

Amazon product

Last edited:
After 110 years, various documentaries and films, I thought everything that could have been said about the disaster that befell the Titanic had already been said. How wrong was I? In this new volume, Mr. Jackson presents a list of fourteen reasons why the maiden voyage was doomed , including events before the keel was laid. These include a number of events that, taken individually, would have meant little, but when combined, and added to the bad decisions taken by persons at the time created the perfect storm.

View attachment 666117

The later sections on the Numbers are illuminating. Who knew that more male passengers survived than female, for instance? He presents reasons why this should be. I liked his Timeline and the section on ‘What ifs?’

The final chapter, exposing Harland & Wolf’s cover-up of who knew what and when, is quite shocking, and teaches us that corruption and corporate reputation protection have always taken precedence over human safety. Perhaps a few modern journalists would benefit from reading it!

I really enjoyed this book, its simple style and organised presentation of information, with reference to sources current at the time made it easy to absorb a lot of information. The pictures were very interesting and appropriate.

I donated the book to our autistic Great Nephew, who is utterly obsessed with the Titanic, even to the point that he argued about the facts of the disaster with a descendant of a survivor! He will treasure this book.

Five mushroom heads.

Amazon product

Why the Titanic was Doomed By Bryan Jackson​

Was it sunk by missing punctuation, or was Bryan a really awful shipwright?

Seriously, I will get this for my boy, he has a fascination for anything to do with Titanic.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Why the Titanic was Doomed By Bryan Jackson​

Was it sunk by missing punctuation, or was Bryan a really awful shipwright?

Seriously, I will get this for my boy, he has a fascination for anything to do with Titanic.
Point taken. I'll change the thread title.

Seriously pleased you're going to buy it.

View attachment 666117

Five mushroom heads.

Amazon product

What was the cover up regarding Harland and Wolff?

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
What was the cover up regarding Harland and Wolff?
Read the book and find out!

Basically, they knew before it was built that the metal was thinner than specified, the watertight compartments weren't high enough etc but it saved them money. This information was buried very very deeply in their archives and would have been destroyed but for one very thorough journalist. A modern journalist would have been busy complaining that the workforce wasn't diverse enough!

notwhoiam

Old-Salt
Just ordered it. Thanks guys

Interesting to hear of the corruption of H&W but not overall surprising. I read a book on the history of the Battleship building companies, such as Vickers, Armstrong, Thames Ironworks and so on. They all acted as a cartel and hyper-inflated the price of armour for the Navy, which didn't have much choice but to simply pay hugely over the value of it.

Latest Threads