Why the Israeli bombs went to Prestwick.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Bugsy, Jul 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is something I just happened on and makes very interesting reading. The planes carrying the Israeli bombs were apparetly originally meant to refuel at Shannon airport, but were refused landing permission. Has the Irish gobment suddenly grown a pair?

Wonder will never cease! :D :D :D

2. Bugger, thought they had bombed Glasgow!
  3. A bigger pair than our Tony has clearly.
  4. Hardly surprising for a neutral state, especially seeing that it still has (I asssume) UNMOs in Lebanon.
  5. Come to think of it, extraordinary that the US thought it was a goer in the first place. Hardly demonstrates a strong grasp of World affairs does it?
  6. No.

The default position in Irish law is that the transport of munitions is prohibited unless an exemption is granted by the Minister of State. He went over this in a speech in the Dail a few months ago, but the process basically involves interfacing with a bunch of other departments such as Transportation to ensure that the munitions are being safely transported, which takes time. According to the Minister, the most common cause for an exemption not being granted is the application being submitted too late.

Given that this was a rush shipment, it's quite likely that this is exactly the cause in this case.

7. Amazing it did not do much to stop IRA weapons
  8. I actually read yesterday that US Military stop-overs at Shannon will fall in the near future.

Apparentley this was decided before the Lebanon crisis started.
  9. Well I hope the soap-dodging 'peace' protesters at Shannon will be happy that a goodly percentage of the local economy will now go down the swanny...
  10. To be honest I dont think there will be much of an effect. You will be supprised how many other Countries military aircraft pass through Shannon.

For Example, The Israeli Airforce Tankers seen at the Airport this year!

11. Last year Shannon turned a E10million profit. Revenues from American troop flights on chartered civil airliners were E12million.

Draw your own conclusions.

12. You have to wonder why they went via a civie airport in the first place, when they have US Mil Airbases left here in the UK, Iceland and Germany, all suitable to bung more fuel on and change the crew etc?
  13. According to the Limerick Post, World Airways the largest U.S. military carrier is considering other European venues for it's military stopovers.

Shannon Airport Authority has gained €14 million in profit from military flights in the first three months of 2006 alone according to the newspaper.

In February 2003 World Airways temporarily suspended it's use of Shannon Airport as a stopover for U.S. military flights. Airport. They denied it had anything to do with the 2 disarmament actions of a U.S. Navy aircraft at Shannon by peace protesters!.
  14. How does Hezbollah get it's missiles into the Lebanon, are they through Shannon or Prestwick.
    Interesting to know how they do it, Kettle, pot, black, calling ,The,the.
    Please re -arrange as you see fit.