Why the hackle?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Rumpelstiltskin, Aug 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, am on Summer Leader & need a question answered for a mate before his show parade tomorrow... I know I could use the search function, but must iron own kit swiftly for same parade... :oops:

Q: Why do/did the RWF, anbd by extension other fusiliers, wear the hackle?

A: will be v. gratefully recieved...

2. They got caught scrumping for chickens just before the battle of waterloo and Boney was most displeased.

3. Wah?

we have one after 2006 for no F;ckin reason at all....just a pain in the arrse

4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Not sure about the RWF, but the RRF got theirs from dead French soldiers at St. Lucia in December 1778.

5. Because we are very, very good soldiers.

6. I prefer the scrumping for chickens story :wink:

7. I thought it was after their time in the jungle where they disguised themselves (unsuccesfully) as parrots

8. The custom of wearing the White Hackle by the Royal Welch Fusiliers originated as follows :- In 1702 the 23rd Foot was formed into a Regiment of Fusiliers. It was the custom at that time for such regiments to wear head-dress of the same pattern as grenadier companies of line regiments.

In approximately 1709 officers began to adopt the wearing of feathers in their hats. This practice was sanctioned in 1789, when a regulation was made that the colours of the feathers worn were to be red and white for the line regiments, white for the Grenadiers and green tufts for the Light Infantry.

http://www.colwyn-bayrwf.org.uk/tradditions.htm

9. Other Fusiliers?

Other?

RWF are other (as are RHF and the Dublin Fusiliers etc. etc.)

Onanist! :roll:

10. I thought it was so they could titivate the place they were in easily. You know, always have a feather duster to hand.

11. 'I thought it was so they could titivate the place they were in easily. You know, always have a feather duster to hand.'

When I was attached to the RWF, they had a saying 'join the Navy and see the world, join the RWF and sweep it!'

12. Something to do with Circus Ponies I think. At the Depot my Training Team used to make the baby ones paw the ground with their little hooves & snort in a horse like fashion whilst carrying baby Pioneers on their backs! For some reason the one Fusilier Corporal in the team never really joined in!