Why TA?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by johnnyVB, Apr 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just interested behind the reasons to why people have joined the TA.
    Does anyone want to be deployed? improve their fitness? new friends? any other reasons ?
  2. Duty
  3. msr

msr LE

Duty free
  4. A mate of mine told me beer was cheap and somebody would pay me....
    Almost 7 years later and i'm still doing it.

oh yeah duty, looking for a challenge, great mates but don't tell anyone that, I joined for the cheap booze 'onest guv.
  5. I joined the regs in '79 and left in '84--and joined the TA in '86 and still in and off to 'gan yet again later--keep in for the mates, pay, doing different stuff to yer work mates, was the shagging but that's gone downhill since it all started getting serious :( :cry: , you join now and yer defo going on ops-or at least you should be. Also the pride in being nearly 50 and still being fitter than the youff of today.
    Just try ignore the politics which there are plenty of - you'll get true mates in the TA and hopefully still be able to giggle while the s##t hits the fan...
    24 years on and we still manage to have a laugh - take up mountain biking and get paid to do it-result :D
  6. join for the OP's, AT, Mates

in that order,

before any one says why not join the regs, cause i get more money in civvy street and the freedom to do what I want when I want, :)
  7. Bravo Bravo joined to dodge tours ;)
  8. I joined because my "promising" career in the regs was cut short by the SDR. I joined because I missed something, didnt know then it wasnt the bullshit or the parades or the endless politics, what I missed was the brotherhood, the craic and feeling of actually achieving something very few civvys will.
  9. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

because I've got nowhere else to go . . .. .
  10. msr

msr LE

Because the voices in my head told me to...
  11. My Bird said I would look good in the uniform, She left me.... My New bird doesnt like the TA so im still in just to piss her off :p
  12. Because I was asked to by the then CO.
  13. Exactly the same with me. SDR cut short my (as well as many others) regular career.

After some time in civvy street, I decided that I was missing out on something and wanted to be back in the gang (but only at weekends and tuesdays :) ).
  14. The bigger boys made me
  15. So I could dress up in uniform and look at myself in the mirror all day and to help me pull women as my personality is comparable to that of a digestive biscuit