Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why still 999 for the Police/Fire service or Medical assistance?

Driving to the cinema tonight I saw a police car with the number 112 to call, in case of needing help. Started thinking about the UK 999 number.

OK , old enough to know about when 999 was chosen , taught to me by an old SSgt in 1980.

back in

Well it did happen.

After that time frame 1935, when you called a switchboard operated by an operator (female at the time ).

but the UK PO changed to automated ( on a small scale ) Strowger exchanges in 1923 . By say 1940 /50 the UK was fully PABXs with Strowger exchanges , some until 1995 .

So on a Strowger exchange dialing 999 took nine times longer than dialing 111. All those make break DC pulses.

So why did the UK stay with the 999 number?

Also remember years ago reading some doc about you can find the 9 hole in a dial easier than a 1 ?.

Any old TE techs know more?

On old systems it supposedly reduced false alarms due to wiring.
999 is only slower to dial on mechanical systems
It was easy to find on a dial phone
On a modern mobile it will take the same time or actually a tiny fraction less than moving your finger to a different digit 11 then 2
999 is memorable
It’s been in regular use, so why stop using it?
Both 999 and the international standard 112 both work in the UK

On old systems it supposedly reduced false alarms due to wiring.
999 is only slower to dial on mechanical systems
It was easy to find on a dial phone
On a modern mobile it will take the same time or actually a tiny fraction less than moving your finger to a different digit 11 then 2
999 is memorable
It’s been in regular use, so why stop using it?
Both 999 and the international standard 112 both work in the UK

Did you even read my post?

And how many people in the UK know that 112 also gets you the police?

Used to tell the ladeez that if they rang 999 and it was engaged they should ring 998, it's next door, they'll nip round and let us know.

Did you even read my post?
Yes
You asked why we have not gone away from 999
And how many people in the UK know that 112 also gets you the police?
That’s also, in a round about way, one of the reasons I gave:
- “It’s been in regular use, so why stop using it?” - in the sense that many still know 999 as the emergency number.

I don’t know how many, but a few do know about 999. Including me, however on the occasions that I’ve needed to make an emergency call I’ve automatically gone for 999

Slime

LE
Driving to the cinema tonight I saw a police car with the number 112 to call, in case of needing help. Started thinking about the UK 999 number.

OK , old enough to know about when 999 was chosen , taught to me by an old SSgt in 1980.

back in

Well it did happen.

After that time frame 1935, when you called a switchboard operated by an operator (female at the time ).

but the UK PO changed to automated ( on a small scale ) Strowger exchanges in 1923 . By say 1940 /50 the UK was fully PABXs with Strowger exchanges , some until 1995 .

So on a Strowger exchange dialing 999 took nine times longer than dialing 111. All those make break DC pulses.

So why did the UK stay with the 999 number?

Also remember years ago reading some doc about you can find the 9 hole in a dial easier than a 1 ?.

Any old TE techs know more?

Nine was easy to find as you say, and why change a number that was well known and worked.

You make a good point about 112. I know it can be used, but wouldn't be surprised if many were unaware about it.

The new ’silent method’ for dialling the emergency services from a mobile seems even less well known.

Nine was easy to find as you say, and why change a number that was well known and worked.

You make a good point about 112. I know it can be used, but wouldn't be surprised if many were unaware about it.

The new ’silent method’ for dialling the emergency services from a mobile seems even less well known.

..................... who said that?

112 is a European thing, it will be out of service in 9 days.

Slime

LE

Latest Threads