Why SPAMS?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by zx6, May 14, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. zx6

zx6 Swinger

Aaaaah. I remember by fun times in Germany. Worked with the Americans loads of times, but never knew why they were called SPAMS. Who can clarify? Tks.

2. zx6

zx6 Swinger

And another thing......who, or what, is 'sniff test man'?

3. msr

msr LE

Spastic Plastic American Motherf*****s

Sniff test man, the one who performs the 'sniff test' by levering his respirator gently away from his face to test that there are no chemicals left in the air after an attack

Cheers,
    msr

4. Don't talk to me about SPAMS

The most useless buch of f""ks I have wroked with.

cheers,
    TIPRAT

5. HLS

HLS Old-Salt

Stupid Poxy American Mongs

6. de turfing man????

7. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

I am not completely sure about this but I think that the term comes from the fact that SPAM (Spiced Pork And Ham) was an American innovation that came over on the convoys as part of war aid in WWII.

8. Slightly off the thread,  but ....

Only in America!

Scientists at Roll Royce built a gun specifically to launch dead chickens at the windshields of airliners, and military jets, all travelling at maximum velocity.

The idea is to simulate the frequent incidents of collisions with airborne fowl to test the strength of the windshields. American engineers heard about the gun and were eager to test it on the windshields of their new high-speed trains. Arrangements were made, and a gun was sent to the American engineers.

When the gun was fired, the engineers stood shocked as the chicken hurled out of the barrel, crashed into the shatterproof shield, smashed it to smithereens, blasted through the control console, snapped the engineer's back-rest in two and embedded itself in the back wall of the cabin, like an arrow shot from a bow.

The horrified Yanks sent Rolls Royce the disastrous results of the experiment, along with the designs of the windshield and begged the British scientists for suggestions.

Rolls Royce responded with a one-line memo:

"Defrost the chicken." ;D ;D ;D ;D

9. Just to go against the thread,

Having just worked closely with the USMC on a fairly significant op, I can safely say that they were the epitome of professionalism.  Their officers and soldiers were intelligent robust and knew their business.  They were well equipped and performed excellently on the battlefield.  To say that they are useless is bollocks.  And don't start quoting the friendly fire argument at me.  Having come from a battlegroup which lost more to Brit friendly fire than to enemy it wont wash.  There is a lot of ignorance ou there which is unhelpful bearing in mind that we are unlikely to fight without them again.

Granted some of the muppets in their forces are pants but then look at the some of the dross we have.

10. StuPid AMericanS

11. Dogmonkey-  8) It's good to see something good from our allies once in a while. ;)

12. $20 on its way to you....shhhhhhhh :)

13. SPAM = Specially Prepaired American Meat, godsend in ww2, both types.

14. I seem to remember it was a euphemism for "Spastic Americans" Surely not? :D

15. shut up. Urban myth. Snopes is your friend