Why should I pay for Old Age Social Care

I have just seen the CPI figure for August 2021 was 3.2%. On that basis, pension increases will be better if it holds up into September, or even rises.

Last year or the year before they used the August figure ( No idea why )

Don't be surprised if they use August figure again, if they are expecting inflation to rise again in September.

Allan74

Old-Salt
Why should I pay taxes for couple's fertility treatment?

Why should I pay taxes for people to have cosmetic surgery?

Why should I pay taxes for smokers to have cancer treatment after developing lung cancer?

Why should I pay taxes for illegal immigrants (criminals) to have food, clothing, housing, medical & dental care and spending money?

Why should I pay taxes etc, etc

You pay your taxes which go into a big pot and the government decides where they get spent. You don't get a say in it.
Happy to stand corrected by smokers, boozers 'n' fat bastads pay huge amounts in taxes...that covers the course of treatment plus SBNFBs tend to die earlier saving big amounts on pensions.

Happy to stand corrected by smokers, boozers 'n' fat bastads pay huge amounts in taxes...that covers the course of treatment plus SBNFBs tend to die earlier saving big amounts on pensions.
Indeedy, somewhere in the history of arrse is a post about the percentage of ex military likely to live long enough to draw their pensions, from government forecasts. It's a depressingly low percentage too.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm not a smoker, boozer or fat 'bastad' so am unable to correct you...

Indeedy, somewhere in the history of arrse is a post about the percentage of ex military likely to live long enough to draw their pensions, from government forecasts. It's a depressingly low percentage too.

At the back end of 2000, something like 52% did not reach the age of 55 after serving 22 years ( Although I cannot remember if this was Army wide or Infantry specific )

So I dread to think how many kick the bucket before reaching State Pension age - The % must be horrendous.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
At the back end of 2000, something like 52% did not reach the age of 55 after serving 22 years ( Although I cannot remember if this was Army wide or Infantry specific )

So I dread to think how many kick the bucket before reaching State Pension age - The % must be horrendous.
I had no idea the percentage was that high - really makes you think...

It's purely anecdotal evidence, but I'm aware of many, many ex-soldiers who've died before the age of 60.

As far as I can see, smoking, heavy drinking and gluttony play a big part in it, as do stress related conditions. Quite a few people I knew might still be alive if they hadn't bought motorbikes.

A lot of ex soldiers have a reckless attitude to life, that's part of what drew them into the army in the first place. If you still have a devil may care or 'firk it' attitude at 40, you're much less likely to make 60.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer

I'm curious as to how these statistics were gathered as we'd been told that until very recently on suicide statistics (just as an example and I can't find the thread it was discussed in) that there was no way the authorities knew whether you'd served or not, or at least no centralised database which could compile the stats. I think it's only very recently that the National Census asked whether you'd served and the same with the NHS, although my practice manager is ex-forces so shit hot on ensuring they'd identified all ex military.

Where did you get that figure from , just looking at my own regimental association (old comrades) it is nothing like that figure

More than half of those have who complete 22 yrs do not reach 55 years of age - bullshit - either way Infantry or Army wide

Archie

I had no idea the percentage was that high - really makes you think...

Neither had I - But that was the figures given on a financial brief that I attended.

Milestones on leaving leaving the Army at 40 after 22 years.

1. Reach 55

2. Reach State Pension age

Everything in between is an added bonus :) :)

Everything over State Pension age is a double Brucie Bonus :) :)

I'm curious as to how these statistics were gathered

I'm fairly certain that the statistic could be very easily promulgated by the Pension administrator.

After all - The Pension Administrator is meant to be informed ASP after death.

IIRC it was around 20- 25% that were expected to live beyond 65.

Yay, I've beaten the system, winner!

It's purely anecdotal evidence, but I'm aware of many, many ex-soldiers who've died before the age of 60.

#Metoo :(:(

As far as I can see, smoking, heavy drinking and gluttony play a big part in it, as do stress related conditions. Quite a few people I knew might still be alive if they hadn't bought motorbikes.

Indeed - But for the grace of Gawd.

HE117

LE
Well that fits in with the figures I was given back in 2000

52% not reaching 55

A Further 25% not reaching 65.
I suspect this may change because of Statins..!

What really hacks me off is that in the 80's the Conservatives encouraged people to stop renting and buy their own properties, and introduced the Right-to-Buy laws that meant councils had to sell. This was a great policy.

Except now those same people are having to sell their houses to pay for their care.

So they spent money on maintenance and looking after those homes so the councils didn't have to, and now the councils force them to be sold to pay for care.

It is a disgrace.

What really hacks me off is that in the 80's the Conservatives encouraged people to stop renting and buy their own properties, and introduced the Right-to-Buy laws that meant councils had to sell. This was a great policy.

Except now those same people are having to sell their houses to pay for their care.

So they spent money on maintenance and looking after those homes so the councils didn't have to, and now the councils force them to be sold to pay for care.

It is a disgrace.

Agree with this . Also a lot of these type of properties are bought by people who buy to let.

It is a disgrace.
It's life.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
I suspect this may change because of Statins..!
Statins and all of the other drugs now freely available through the NHS. Not that many years ago things that would have killed you are now treated so we're living until your body, eventually, just gives up.

Latest Threads