Why should British Servicemen Pay Tax on their Pensions

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Shineyarse, Jun 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am an Army pensioner having served my 22 years service like many of you out there! I offset my pension against my Tax Allowance, but then anything I earn from the work I now do is hammered by the taxman.

I have recently been told that US Service personnel dont pay any tax on their Service Pensions!

Can anyone confirm this fact and also how do we go about getting the same deal for our lads?

2. It gets worse, my last pension pay rise meant the tax kicked in more which gave me a £1 loss per month, I sh*t thee not.

3. It is income-it is taxed. It is unearned income, be thankful for it-you have one of the best index linked pensins in the country. stop moaning.

4. I take it you're not in line for one of these pitiful pensions then ? :D

5. On the contrary I am in line for a 22 year pension in about 18 months time. I also contribute to a stand alond AVC and will undoubtedly have a second pension in my next career.

My point is that we as an employer group are no different from any other in terms of pensions. you could easily ask why miners, doctors or firemen pay tax. You receive about £7k free of tax a year. The rest you pay tax on-the NHS may have problems but it has to be funded from somewhere-your (and my 40%) tax rate.

6. I agree with being taxed once, however as usual you are taxed again on what really should be a financial reward for many loyal years of service to the crown.
    Do you really expect anything else from the government though?

fastmedic

7. agreed, but you are taxed on returns from other investments-what's different about a pension?

8. Thank you for your input guys!

I understand that the government needs to tax the a**e off us ex-servicemen in order to pay for the vast amount of wasters in civi street, the great unwashed lazy sods and any other countries rejects who come here for financial reasons, none of which are to work and put anything back into the system!

The difference between us, the miners, doctors, firemen and the police is that they have union representation and can strike for better pay and conditions! We ex-servicemen and anyone currently serving know that we are or were the pawns for the government to send to the four corners of the earth to fight their battles with very little thanks!

Once you leave the service you are gone and forgotten, no matter what rank you were! The government knows statistically that many ex-servicemen never live to see the increases in pension on reaching 55 year of age (60 years of age for the preserved pension).

My original point was the US government dont tax their Military service pensions so why should we be taxed on ours? I dont mind paying tax on my second career but I certainly believe that we should not pay tax on our service pensions!

Maybe it would help with the current recruiting shortage if the government offered potential recruits better pay and conditions of service packages such as tax free service pensions?

9. I think its just the state of this nation, our troops pay taxes on overseas deployment too, where our favourite friendly firing compatriots don't.

Simply put (and I don't believe I'm standing up for the bstrds) We don't have the population of the USA and in turn our Government don't have the tax pounds to afford a cut back on our service people, who go where we're told , when we're told, as often as we're told (with a bit of b1tching but we still get on with it)

If we weren't such a caring, sharing, open bordered, give it all out on a plate , free healthcare to all , even if you haven't put a flippin penny in born outside our borders , dss hand outs for all , even those who openly admit to hating the UK and its christian ways (Abu Hamza sorts) giving out our tax payers money hand of fist Nation, we MIGHT get some sort of tax relief on our pensions ... but its never going to happen. (the NHS might be in better condition too without spin doctors blaming it on managers etc)

I'm in the pension trap now , one of the few things keeping me in is hope of better things to come and... the pension at 22 (I've served 15 this sept) knowing its guaranteed income even if I fall on hard times and it gets better at 55 . My old mother after 40 years in the NHS and in management isn't on the same money that our pension turns into at 55, so the perks , taxed or untaxed are there.

Lets face it too, the way our boys and girls are pumped in and out of the sandy hell holes right now, not many stop in as far as 12 years so wont even have to worry about the half pension half the time, let alone the full 22... I don't think recruitments the problem Shiney, its keeping them in once thru training and having shipped them all over and sucked the life out of them .... different topic tho I think.

SB

10. Thank you Scaley

Certainly the boys and girls in todays forces are under a lot of pressure! I left in 96 and I cant imagine what they have to put up with in todays world? I just wish that the government would do more to make their lives better! God bless them all!

11. With the greatest of respect, yes you do a fantastic job defending us "great unwashed wasters", however lets not forget that you don't just do it for the love of your fellow briton, you do get paid, quite well in comparison, for doing that job, which my taxes contribute to. So why, when you retire, why should you really also get a tax free pension when i do not? The small military pension i get is taxed and i am (fairly) happy to contibute to to the running of the country, (how the government spends it annoys me, but i digress).

12. The tax we pay is overwhelmingly used to fund welfare benefits. This includes Gordon's last NI hike that was to 'save the NHS'.

We spend nearly as much on benefits as on health and education combined.

After benefits, the largest item of expenditure is running the government. You don't think Prescott's Caribbean trip was done on air miles do you? Tony's farewell world tour is costing us a million quid.

Health comes a poor third. I think we still don't spend the European average on health.

13. Thank you for the reply Oneshot! I believe all ex service personnel should receive tax free pensions! The "do and die" attitude should not come into the debate! We all deserve better! There are many ex-servicemen living on the streets because they cant adjust to civilian life, nor can they afford a mortgage or rent because they are unable to find suitable employment. Sorry but I feel that the Government should do more!

14. I think these are two seperate issues. Your right that more needs to be done to help servicepeople when they transition back from (every) conflict and again when they transition from military to civvie life.

However, this is not the same issue as a tax free pension, which i wold be against, unless ALL pensions were not taxed

15. Excuse me?

Fundamentally there is no difference between your employment as a soldier and, for example, a nurse's employment as a provider of healthcare.

You would both have paid into a pension scheme where the payees funded the recipients (i.e, it was not a money-pot investment system). The income that arises from that is taxed, like all other income.

Why should your pension be different than any other public servant's? Because you might have once been shot at? Well, you knew that when you joined, and I suspect you never complained about X-factor, either.

As for trade unions... What difference does that make? Even within this present system doctors, nurses, and others are not always entitled to strike. When was the last time you went to hospital and got turned away because we were on strike?

A more productive argument might be to increase one's pension payments. To try and suggest you are part of some moral elite that should somehow uniquely avoid tax is distasteful however.