Why people may use a "racist" term for a Pakistan national

Obviously there's a BBC dancer in the sh*t at the minute for this. In a lot of jobs making this kind of remark is your worst nightmare - I've come close a number of times. Now I was thinking, there's a good language-based reason why this happens. Your brain encodes language rules.

Who comes from Afghanistan? Afghans.

Who comes from Turkmenistan? Turkmen.

Who comes from Kazakhstan? Kazakhs.

Who comes from Uzbekistan? Uzbeks.

Who comes from Tajikistan? Tajiks.

So now, quickly, without thinking about it, tell me who comes from Pakistan?

Zaheer Abbas?

Dirty stinking scum? :)

I know what you're getting at but over the decades the term 'Paki' has been used as a derogatory term. As such when heard by most it is deemed offensive whether it is meant otherwise or not. The media will jump on anything like this as at the end of the day in this sad day and age it is BIG news to those who go out of their way to jump on the 'racist' bandwagon.

gobbyidiot said:
Obviously there's a BBC dancer in the sh*t at the minute for this. In a lot of jobs making this kind of remark is your worst nightmare - I've come close a number of times. Now I was thinking, there's a good language-based reason why this happens. Your brain encodes language rules.

Who comes from Afghanistan? Afghans.

Who comes from Turkmenistan? Turkmen.

Who comes from Kazakhstan? Kazakhs.

Who comes from Uzbekistan? Uzbeks.

Who comes from Tajikistan? Tajiks.

:D

Not me.

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
Bob Marley, although I may be mistaken.

Anybody up for a chinky.

Chaka Khan?

Though I too could be mistaken.

Game on for a chinky though.

B_AND_T said:
Bob Marley, although I may be mistaken.

Anybody up for a chinky.
My pal did that one with his (now ex) girlfriend.

"Did you enjoy your meal, sir?"

"God, aye adjusts waistband. This is just what Perth needed; a good Ch........"

Paks?

I've heard phrases like 'Pak Army is etc;'

Paki?

Pakistanis.

Who fücking cares as long as it's not 'Packies out' daubed on a wall by the Local BNP supporting fück knucles as was the case a few streets away from me. And oddly, there arent any pakistanis for miles. (So it's working then?)

gobbyidiot said:
Pakistanis

Oh.....I know what what you're getting at, you're trying to make out word Paki isnt at all offensive arnt you?

YYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNN.

I think what p1ssed many Asians was that the term Paki was applied across the board and was used to cover all Asian races and since the Indians hate the Pakistanis and vice versa it was considered a gross insult for an Indian to be called a Paki.
A bit like calling an Englishman a jock, you just don't do it.

Yet another 'media' driven overblown situation in this PC Madness world :roll:

Old_Gregg said:
gobbyidiot said:
Oh.....I know what what you're getting at, you're trying to make out word Paki isnt at all offensive arnt you?
God, no. It's offensive. People are offended by it. But you couldn't speak quickly and easily if your brain didn't subsume rules under master rules.

Pakistani breaks a rule, so you need to specifically remember, and if you are talking quickly and trying to develop a line of thought you've got a problem, particularly if you've just finished talking about a load of other places in the region where the terms obey the rule.