Why oh Why ???

Just a quick question.
What is the point of staying in the REME anymore???
Gone are the days when we used to be the hardest workers and the hardest players all we ever seem to do these days is work and work harder!!!
The only reason i can think of to stay in the corps is to go Tiffy put then i would be a pen pusher!! (no offence intended)
The thing that grips me most and im starting to sound like a broken record now, is that when we are doing all these extra hours all these wednesday and friday afternoons where is the regiment ???
i know there all of having a jolly!!!
ARSE!!!
If anyone has any idea's please let me know. :?:

So been in 6 years and already you are reminiscing about the good old days?

Good luck in whatever Corps/Regt you are off to, you've had your whinge now close the door on the way out

It was actually a question about why i should stay in and not transfer!!
And when i refer to the old days what i should of said was all the good old days which half the forums in this place refer to !!!
TAXI!!!

Sorry was that Taxi for me? Elaborate more then start slagging.

Why should you stay? Well do you think it will be better anywhere else?

On the work hard play hard post you've already said that you've put your papers in for transfer so what is it you're really after? An old sweat to say please please please stay 'cos that aint gonna happen.

Everyone is working hard, everyone is overstretched. Maybe some regiments are knocking off whilst the LAD/Wksp work, unfortunately thats indicative in units with weak REME top brass but its certainly not the norm throughout the Army.

Yes i have put my papers in and yes i have been accepted for transfer but before i finialise it i want to if there is anything or any reason that i should stay in!!
As for it not being the same army wide how come everyone i have spoken to in my trade is saying the same thing as me ??
And yes i do think it will be better elsewhere!!

liam said:
Yes i have put my papers in and yes i have been accepted for transfer but before i finialise it i want to if there is anything or any reason that i should stay in!!
As for it not being the same army wide how come everyone i have spoken to in my trade is saying the same thing as me ??
And yes i do think it will be better elsewhere!!
What are you transferring too?

Liam - are you sure the dog handlers are having any better time of it than we are? I know a few guys in a Military Working Dog unit not far from here and they are threaders with tours etc.

As for the work hard play hard thing, i think thats firmly down to your top brass wanting to look good at your expense. The unit i am with have just about every sports afternoon off and after CO's PT at noon on Fri we knock off for the weekend, and thats a REME unit. If the bosses want to work on Wed / Fri afternoons they have to get clearance from the top man, which usually stops them even asking.

I can appreciate that it is down to the top brass but when everyman and jack is saying its REME wide with exemption of yourself then what am i to go for??
I know the dogs is what i want and i cant wait to go dont get me wrong im not complaining about the hard graft im complaining about the fact that im grafting for some mugs who dont give 2 hoots about the fact that we are working overtime just to get there kit on the road !!!

we always work harder than the parent regiment that we are attached to.thats the reme,s job when they stop working we start repairing,its the same on exercise if you can,t hack it your best bet is to transfer.

liam said:
Just a quick question.
What is the point of staying in the REME anymore???
Gone are the days when we used to be the hardest workers and the hardest players all we ever seem to do these days is work and work harder!!!
The only reason i can think of to stay in the corps is to go Tiffy put then i would be a pen pusher!! (no offence intended)
The thing that grips me most and im starting to sound like a broken record now, is that when we are doing all these extra hours all these wednesday and friday afternoons where is the regiment ???
i know there all of having a jolly!!!
ARSE!!!
If anyone has any idea's please let me know. :?:
I'm sorry to say that i can sympathise. The days of work hard play hard seem a distant memory. With the current pace of life there is very little time for the play hard. The extra hours have always been there but there used to be reward for hard work unfortunately now there doesnt seem to be the scope for this reward. Whether its down to the management having to make the most of over-stretched and under manned units or just the operational commitments it does appear that something is going wrong. Unfortunately people only take heed of this when it gets to breaking point and by that time it is far too late. Adventure training used to be a good outlet for the guys to blow off steam but it has now become yet more time away in an all too busy schedule. As for an answer increased manning and less operational commitments but lets face it that will nrver happen.

Cheers for all your comments all though half of them are slagging !!
I think baldy_git hit the nail on the head really yes the over time and hard work has always been there but like he says there have always been rewards for your hard work, now the guys have nothing to look forward to its just work hard then harder and the guys on the shop floor are starting to realise this now!! wherever it be to operational commitments or exercise or TFSU or whole fleet managment or bowman there will always be somthing to do and with manning being so low there is no light at the end of the tunnel!!

Liam it would appear your post has attracted some replies from some of my fellow Corps ooficers.....who else would say "if you cant take a joke then get out"? These people are so missing the point, people are our most valuable commodity and so many just wont (or more prob cant) manage our soldiers properly which leads to them signing off/transferring which leads to less of them for more work which leads to even less man management.....recognise the trend here?!
It doesnt matter how much effort my team puts into rebalancing and attempting to soothe our manning crises; if there are others just content to feather their own nest to get up that promotion ladder (top tip from me is avoid our Battalions like the plague!) whilst crapping on those below (I think its called the "Seagull Syndrome" isnt it?) then all we can do here at DeeMee towers is fight against the current and hope to simply break even.
We're doing our best believe me.

Liam - maybe if you were fit enough to take a full part in the sport thing you might get more out of it.
Last time i looked 4 guns were giving you time for your sport but you were not fulfilling your part by meeting the minimum fitness levels.

It's a 2 way thing. The standards are there if you can't push yourself and meet them why should the system push you?

I just about manage to get the time i need for sport, but then again i have never failed a PFT/CFT. It can be hard at times, but if you want the time off for sport you have to put the time in elsewhere.

Lecture over.

What was the actual question asked at the begining of this thread????
My reasons are nothing to do with getting the time off to play sport as i have never been stopped playing anything apart from regimental, all the seniors in my unit have given me the full backing to play BA(G) and core rugby this is not my point if you had bothered to read any of the other matters you would of seen my point and wouldnt have even bothered typing your post!!
But hey cheers for the comments!!

Cheers for all your comments guys and girls!
But it seems that no-one has been able to answer my question, apart from some awesome get out you wont be missed comments!! It has been nice to know that no one has any good ideas as to why i should stay in.
Cheers!

Latest Threads