Why not three-month deployments

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jul 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For Infantry?

I know 4 PARA can arrange this, why not the rest of us?

Looks UP...
  2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Well there was a recent two-monther to Kosovo as IRs for 2 RIFLES. Unfortunately we only got the word a week before the reporting date to RTMC. A pity as it would have been a perfect tour for many TA bods who just can't manage to do longer tours.

Question for those who've done 3 month tours, how exactly does this work i.e. do you job share? e.g. Rfn A does the first 3 months and Rfn B does the second etc. I met a 21 SAS chap in Iraq who did exactly that, but thought that his unit's fairly unique status made that possible.

If that is the best pattern to use, I guess 2 x TA pers would be needed for every bayonet required and it might become incumbent of the sending units to provide the beat up training for the second wave of deployments. Perhaps formed units by TA Bns would be the best place to do this?
  4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Was merely speaking in the tongue of the Red Coat for benefit of the general populace M'Lud!
  5. The Fingal tours for TA were 3 months. Seemed to work well. Ours was the last and we were asked in theatre to extend for a month to ease the burden on the Gurkhas before the Green Howards BG arrived.
    As I remember the TA Coys (-) just replaced each other in turn, fitting into the orbat of the parent unit, (2RGR in our case).
    The only downside to this would be that you would still require the same length of build up training regardless of the time spent in theatre.
  6. Understood, but six months way from my employer could be "doable", a year would be challenged.
  7. if you know the right people, and are part of the right arm then there are units which will take young officers for 1, 3 or 6 months. iraq only though.
  8. Some AMS trades only do 3 months, ODPs, Radiographers, Biomed Scientists, A&E nurses, ITU nurses etc unless they volunteer to do 6 months.
  9. Academic; I'm neither young, nor an Officer....
  10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

For the 4 Para soldiers on Herrick at the moment, there were two options:

1. Full 6 month deployed tour. 3 day RTMC, 3 week Bn build up, full reg Bn build up, deployment, usual POTL. Total around 11 months.

2. 3 Months tour. Second half of tour only, full RTMC, 2 week Bn build up, OPTAG and out. Total tour time inc POTL around 6 months.

If you wanted to be sure of being a rifleman in the forward sections (if appropriate), you needed to do option 1. If you took option 2, then you would fit in wherever you were needed, and many ended up in other roles. Still essential and frequently very high risk, but rifle Pl not guaranteed.
  11. msr

msr LE

Oh for that sort of mentality to be demonstrated by the rest of the army, in soooooooooooooo many different ways.

12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Are both options open to all ranks or are Officers and SNCOs expected to do the full 6 months?
  13. When i worked at RTMC, I mobilised a bloke (maj from CVHQ - IIRC) who went to Herrick for 2 weeks to cover someone else going on leave.

Total length of tour - 4 weeks... so it can be done.
  14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Both options open across the board. Currently 2 x Lt Col (late 4 Para), 2 x Maj, 2 x Lt out there, over both options.

I am not sure on SNCOs - most of them did Herrick 4 or Telic 7 and are currently time barred under RFA 96.
  15. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was with 2 PARA on Telic 7 and saw first hand how seamlessly (almost) the relationship between the Regiment's reservists and regular unit was. I remembered thinking then that this was, or at least should be, the future for the TA Infantry. I think the rest of us are getting there, but truth be told (and I get no pleasure in writing this) I think the PARAs are still way ahead of the rest of us.