Why not the Royal Rifles?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by angular, Feb 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As far as I know, when the King's Royal Rifle Corps and the Rifle Brigade merged, they became the Royal Green Jackets. The Royal Gloucester, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment became the RGBWLI. They (along with other glorious regiments long lamented) became The Rifles, but lost the prefix 'Royal'.

Why? I would have thought that once won, no-one would give up the title 'Royal' willingly. Any army that can think that the RGBWLI sounds OK as a Regimental name can't be too bothered that 'Royal Rifles' sounds awkward.
  2. Release Roderick...

IIRC there was a reason given on the Regimental website, escapes me for now.
  3. Here here - a bit late now though - were where you when all this was being thought of? :D

Does the senior antecendent need Royal in its title? Who is 1 Rifles?
    Well that answers that then! :roll:
  5. I was just hiding somewhere, hoping the ROYAL Anglians wouldn't get caught up in the rush to One Big Regiment :D
  6. The only worrying thing is that it might be one of our governments' moves to move us away from British tradition and make us think of ourselves less of an Army of the Queen and more of a tool for increasing Liarbours pension fund.
  7. IIRC in spite of some of the antecedent regiments having the Royal prefix, the Royal Green Jackets started life as the Green Jackets, and, if I'm not mistaken, the Royal Anglians started life as the East Anglian Regiment...so maybe its not too late.
  8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

In 1966 the Greenjacket Brigade became The Royal Greenjackets. The Greenjacket Brigade had itself been formed in 1958 from The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (43rd and 52nd), the Kings Royal Rifle Corps (60th ) and the Rifle Brigade (95th).
    The formation of the RGJ was from a brigade into a single Large Regiment, so not that different from the present set up. Notice that only the 60th KRRC had the title 'Royal' in name.
    There appears to be no reason at all that the wird 'Royal' could not be affixed to the Rifles, but I believe that is a major decision that has yet to be taken.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The LI founding portion of the rifles were honoured by the various monarchs with the title "Light Infantry" an award usually gained for meritous service. The title incorporated into the County names was usually sufficient recognition of past service by the monarchy so granting an additional "Royal" prefix is unneccesary! That applies only to the various pre 1968 county regiments, the RGBW were formed as an LI Bn in Name to assist with the transition to the Maffia.
  10. It's all academic anyway. In a few years time we shall all be serving in the English Regiment. A nice little unit with 4 regular batalions and one of TA. Sorted.
  11. Yeah. And no-one would ever guess where YOU served, then :D
  12. My father-in-law who is ex KRRC/2 RGJ still cannot get his head around how the LI surrendered their colours so easily. He says that The Rifles are virtually RGJ in all but name.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No one in the associations was happy and at the reunion there was a lot of heckling of the senior table. Last year I met a lad who was one of my new boys before I left, he is a recruiting sgt up in the North East and his son joined the Fusiliers rather than go Darkside!
    There was talk that the colours would be on display at the County Halls but we are still waiting on the email from the County assoc rep. Nothing new there then.
  14. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

We had similar unhappy discussions at reunions and functions, then we had a visit from a Very Senior Greenjacket who actually reassured us all. I do agree that the Li and other battalions came out of it rather poorly, the insignia and uniform are not only mostly Greenjacket, but actually almost a copy of Rifle Brigade.
    And although I do have a degree of sympathy for the LI regiments, it's not much, since they were Redcoats anyway!
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I think it may be another 40 years before the Rifles association members outnumber the founding regiment ones, by then there will be no more LI reunion weekend and everyone will be at Flowerdown in a pishing contest.