Why not one medical corps?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Wessex_Man, Sep 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just curious - why are there separate corps for nurses, medicos, dentists etc? Surely, it would be more cost effective & efficient to integrate all into one medical corps? Presume there are good reasons why this is not so - can anyone explain, please?
  2. Its in the pipeline and it will happen, has only recently been averted for the time being.
  3. Long overdue and they should go the whole way and make it a tri-service corps.
  4. But what about the special RAF Aeromed function that the Army couldn't possibly do?!!
    What about all the duplicate senior officer posts?!!
    What about the loss of train sets?!!
    Good Lord - sacrilege!!!
  5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I imagine that a tri-service medical corps would work much like the Bundeswehr Sanitatsdienst. Personnel are attached to the navy, army or air force, have single service ranks, wear single service uniform and train in special to branch skills, but are part of one military health service.

As for aeromed, I've never quite understood why the army covet it so much. If I'd wanted to paint boxes or put up tents I'd have joined the army - if soldiers want to do aeromed they should have joined the RAF!
  6. You forgot to add 'as a CMT' at the end of your sentence.
  7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

8. sorry Venty, are we keeping you up mate?
  9. Which ranks and uniforms would probably be implemented? Navy as they're the senior service? The US use naval ranks and uniforms for their public health service, so I suppose it's logical for us to follow suit.
  10. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Should have made it clearer - Bundeswehr Sanitatsdienst personnel wear the uniform of the branch they work with, so med staff on air bases are Luftwaffe, those on ships are navy and (just for Venty, and because I can't resist) those erecting tentage are in army uniform. They stay within that arm of service, but organisationally are part of a separate service.

More info (auf Deutsch) on the Sanitatsdienst website.

They have 8 modern military hospitals, too, some of which are teaching, and all of which treat civilians as well as military - the way we should have gone. Their aeromed service is superb, with some dedicated aircraft.
  11. Whilst we all may laugh this is EXACTLY the ONLY reason why - young Officers' and Soldiers' really IMHO do not give a dam take HQ DDS TE all three services working together.

So the real point is not why but when - and also the others points to note are Terms of Service THAT is also why it is a long way off.

DDS hides behind this very point for self satsifaction
  12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Unfortunatley the newly formed RAMSC wouldnt be able to decide what capbadge to have, where to live, what uniform to wear, who would be in charge, what colour the ODP's bucket would be, etc etc.

Who would do the tents and boxes??
  13. just get on with it, we know its going to happen. Who cares what colour uniform, shape of badge, size of nurse, just do it now and lets get on with providing the best possible medical care.
  14. Are you mad these things are desperately important as you well know
  15. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Contact Patrick "Terror" Lekota, I'm sure he'll let the RAMSC have all the kit from SAMS, including some fine capbadges and stepouts, all for a smallish personal fee payable to a nice Swiss bank.

After all, the same thing happened to SAP kit courtesy of his oppos Steve Tshwete, Charles Nqakula and Sydney Mufamadi...