Why no Royal Army?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Corporal, Feb 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know this has been done before, but I can't find it.

Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Royal Airforce....British Army?

Why doesn't the Army rate a Royal?
  2. Some thing to do with the civil war and army siding with the Govt. I'm sure someone more qualified will correct and enhance.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The Army is made up of regiments and corps who can achieve the prefix Royal when earned in battle. Many other regiments are accorded various other honours such as Loyal, faithfull etc.
  4. Think its also something to do with the fact that all of the individual Regiments have a Royal person as "Regimental Colonel", therefore no need for the army as whole to have a "Royal" title.
  5. Yes, it does refer to Ye Olde Civil War.

Essentially the Army is "Parliaments" army, whereas the Navy was a private yacht club for monarchs and the RAF didn't exist then...halcyon days but I digress.
  6. It would be over-egging the pudding, we are clearly superior, and do not require the "commiseration prize" of a poncy title. :wink:
  7. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

The Royal Navy and Royal Air Force were both formed by Royal Warrant. The Army is a collection of Corps and Regiments that were each granted Royal Warrants in their own right and are commanded by a collective command structure above Regimental Level up to an including the Army Board, all reporting into the Chief of the General Staff. The 3 service heads all report to the Chief of the Defence Staff.
  8. We like to be different. Had it all went our way in 1776 mate........you'd be in the Royal Marines!
  9. Only if they improved thier shoddy septic standards 400 fold :D
  10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

They should have paid their taxes in Boston and we wouldnt have all this trouble today!
  11. Don't worry, they're paying taxes in Boston these days :lol:
  12. I remember my CO years ago, in a lecture to us youngsters, mentioning that (in addition to the command structure) Commanding Officers have a direct personal responsibility to the Sovereign for the efficiency and standards of their command.

I also remember facetiously working out that, as I was also responsible to the CO, that put me two below the Sovereign and three below the Deity. :wink:
  13. The Royal Army died when Cromwell chopped off Chols I heed.
    Now its Parliments army, in theory but it knows where its alegence lies.
    PS. Always suspisose of old bootys talking about a fine body of men.
  14. Don't the Air force and naval officers have commsissions?

while we are about it i have seen Police saluting queen and senior officers they wear the crown on their badge do they have a commission ?

Fire service ranks i would imagine are an internal rank?

is there any other services that have commssion from the queen ?
  15. "Hello. Emergency operator. Which service?"

"Royal Police, Royal Ambulance and Royal Fire Service, please."