Why no films about the Australian Army in vietnam?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jesse, Jul 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have noticed that there seem to be no films and very few books about the Australian contribution to the Vietnam war. Can anybody recommend any?
  2. google - the odd angry shot
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Bggr, beaten by Bipolar77.

The Odd Angry Shot, awesome film.

Best comedic bit - the Padre and the wakning machine.
    Best warry bit - the rest.

edited to add that there are a good few books on the subject as well, I'll need to consult Fingerz Minor's library to give you some titles.

BTW if you want to see Nicole Kidman in a school uniform, "Vietnam, Vietnam" is worth a squint (twas shown on the bee bee cee in the 1980's). Should be available on Amazon I would have thought.
  4. its been a while since i've seen it does it involve the minefield incident where they try to rescue the bloke on the mine by using a hercules plane with a grabber and an air baloon?

sounds crazy i know
  5. There's going to be a film about the Battle of Long Tan due out sometime in 2011. It was due out this year but was put back.

In the mean time, while it's not about Diggers in the Vietnam War, check out Kokoda.

Gritty stuff.
  6. IIRC there are a couple of books by Lex MacAulay. The Battle for Long Tan and the Battle of Coral.
  7. I saw one where they tried to rescue a bloke from a pressure plate mine with sandbags replacing his weight and in the end they told him to jump, he'd still loose his legs but he might live that way. For the life of me can't remember the name of it
  8. Why not speak to Gibson's agents and drum up some support for him to make a new Aussie Vietnam film, I am quite sure (even though British Forces were never officially involved over there) that he will still somehow manage to inject some clips involving Brits and once again add some pathetic lies, once again making the British Army look pathetic, who knows it may even stir up some anger among the new generation of Aussies (who will gullibly fall for all the lies) towards the Brits as did that pathetic film called Gallipolli do to the generation before them ...
  9. There was a TV series some years ago (1980's) about an Australian conscript. They tried something like that. Perhaps that was what you were thinking of?
  10. 'The Odd Angry Shot, awesome film ...

BTW if you want to see Nicole Kidman in a school uniform, "Vietnam, Vietnam" is worth a squint (twas shown on the bee bee cee in the 1980's)'.

Beaten to both. 'Kokoda' is worth watching as well, as it shows how Australians in Papua New Guinea fought in possibly the worst combat environment ever (jungle plus mountains) against the worst enemy ever (Japanese = hard plus brutal).

I cannot find any clips of 'The Long Shot' on Youtube. But here's Nicole Kidman in school uniform:

Here's another from the same series:

11. '(even though British Forces were never officially involved over there)'

Members of 22SAS did transfer to their Australian and NZ counterparts during the war, and did serve in Vietnam on secondment.