• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Why No Dedicated Veterans Affairs Department in UK ?

Why are we the only country in the English speaking world that does NOT have a dedicated veterans affairs governmental department ?

My own conclusion is that our government prefer it this way because the current system provides many jobs for the old boys network!

What you say ?

Why do we need to create a government department with assorted jobs for the boys?

What is wrong with the current set up that could be fixed by having a government department instead of the existing organisations?

It suits the incumbent governments to rely on piecemeal coverage by various state organs and well meaning charities.
Until such time as the Veterans Minister gets a real department with budget and political clout this state of affairs will continue.

It isn't politically acceptable at the moment to give money to assist those already being dealt with by
DWP
TRBL
SSAFA
ABF
RAFBF
RNBF
RMBF
UKVA
etc.

and why would they when they can rely on these organisations to do it for them.

It suits the incumbent governments to rely on piecemeal coverage by various state organs and well meaning charities.
Until such time as the Veterans Minister gets a real department with budget and political clout this state of affairs will continue.

It isn't politically acceptable at the moment to give money to assist those already being dealt with by
DWP
TRBL
SSAFA
ABF
RAFBF
RNBF
RMBF
UKVA
etc.

and why would they when they can rely on these organisations to do it for them.
So suffice to say, if the above stations dissolved themselves we would then have a proper Veterans government department ?

But Other country's do have additional auxiliary veterans stations in conjunction with a governmental department.

Dissolve, no?

Be amalgamated possibly.
But as these organisations all have staff there would be a huge amount of redundancies in the pipeline.

It won't happen
Charity bosses would never allow themselves to be sub-sumed by Whitehall and lose the chance of Knighthoods and media attention.
and Whitehall has no stomach for it anyway.

If it were to happen would you trust HMG to fund it to the same levels enjoyed by some charities?

£100 million spent by TRBL last year
£1.4 million per week
and all the other charities spend a proportional amount in line with their size to TRBL
The public donates most of that money.
The same public would, i guess, be reluctant to cough that much up if they saw yet another Govt. department using it in the way HMG Depts currently seem to.

Pah Easy to answer. Because we dont make enough fuss and we're not organised. Mainly because A. we soldier on irespective and B. we dont really give enough of a **** to do something about it. Unless you want to take the lead and i'll chuck my hat into the ring as well.

T

Tremaine

In the big scheme, veterans and Armed Forces (we)are just one sector, nothing special, without a persuasive and compelling case for change through social policy and campaigns.

Despite cynicism our current Veterans Agency seems to have come on in leaps and bounds, in response to needs and demands. What if the lack of a dedicated Veterans Affairs Department seen in the US, had more to do with the wider general UK public, business, and UK social policy. What about our proudly trumpeted and de rigeur, equality and diversity policies? Should I risk saying that the UK has become more of a wet liberal and left wing society - obsessed with racism diversity and equality? Veterans and their advocates will continue to fight social policy makers, authorities and public services for ever and ever.

Just to play devil's advocate there probably are more information and resources now, than ever and some of us oldies might wish they'd been around decades ago. Is the OP comparing UK Veterans' services, with the USA? It could be that we have an Armed Forces support network that might not be the same as the USA's but which may have some potential to compete. But against the diversity and equality brigade, many of which couldn't care less about UK veterans and never will. The OP seems to reflect Mind's (advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem) stance on Veterans' Affairs and mental health for instance. The UK government has claimed that there are 'robust' systems in place to help ex-servicemen and women. But that doesn't mention compassion, dedicated government and public services for UK veterans, nor possibly, can we confidently claim that health services and local authorities will openly support us without some pressure.

"Mind" say on their website "Contrast (this or our system) with the USA, where there is a dedicated Department of Veterans' Affairs that provides assessment, psychological testing and group and family therapy. Reluctant as the UK may be to follow the USA in anything that resembles military policy, we might just have to accept that, when it comes to treating veterans' mental health, the Americans have got it right". Definitely there should be more joined up policies on health care, more jurisdiction and control of public services and of councils, who now have localised jurisdiction though god knows why.

If all those agencies don't change their culture, their liberal dribble and institutional mentality, they'll have to deal with the consequences when today's veterans start calling. A poor result for the veteran but it will serve the agencies bloody well right.

I'd like to know why there is no 'ex-sanitary towel manufacturers veterans department' in the UK.

After all, we're all veterans of something or another...

I thought the ARRSE; OLD & BOLD was the unofficial Government Dept.

Government Ministers, MOD Head Sheds, Senior Officers read ARRSE, we just have to get a policy in place which they can say was thier idea.

B

bokkatankie

You mean SPVA doesn't count?
Apparently not, as they will not play the game according to him. Mind you when you look at other threads, where people are emailing and phoning them every hour as their need is so much more important than letting the process work, I wonder they get anything done at all.

The VA, may, today be a great and shiny thing, but post Vietnam it was a national disgrace in the USA.

Apparently not, as they will not play the game according to him. Mind you when you look at other threads, where people are emailing and phoning them every hour as their need is so much more important than letting the process work, I wonder they get anything done at all.

The VA, may, today be a great and shiny thing, but post Vietnam it was a national disgrace in the USA.
Never had a problem on the couple of occasions I had to contact them. There might be something in your comment about giving the process time, a lot of folk seem to want things done now when it just isn't going to happen.

B

bokkatankie

Never had a problem on the couple of occasions I had to contact them. There might be something in your comment about giving the process time, a lot of folk seem to want things done now when it just isn't going to happen.
They have been brilliant with me, helpful and concerned. But then I actually allow them time to reply before I start phoning and emailing!

E

EScotia

They have been brilliant with me, helpful and concerned. But then I actually allow them time to reply before I start phoning and emailing!
Yet again a repeated comment from you slagging off all those who haven't been as fortunate with SPVA as you say you have been. If you could be bothered to ditch the "I'm all right jack" attitude and actually read the comments of those who are having difficulties with SPVA you might see that the problem has been in the main that SPVA just don't reply or lose letters and deny phone calls have taken place. This is of course compounded by departmental re-organisations during which work is not carried out and redundancies within SPVA.

B

bokkatankie

Yet again a repeated comment from you slagging off all those who haven't been as fortunate with SPVA as you say you have been. If you could be bothered to ditch the "I'm all right jack" attitude and actually read the comments of those who are having difficulties with SPVA you might see that the problem has been in the main that SPVA just don't reply or lose letters and deny phone calls have taken place. This is of course compounded by departmental re-organisations during which work is not carried out and redundancies within SPVA.
Its not I'm all right jack, it is a sensible and considered approach to a Government department. Your problems are as unique as mine, you choose to come on here all the time calling them useless ******* and so on, I do not. The fact that I do not have the faintest idea that departmental reoganisations are going on is, perhaps, indicative, of the way that I approach the SPVA. I was saddened to hear that my case worker had retired, I sent an email saying what a wonderful job she had done and my new case worker responded same day and life goes on.

I have no idea what your personal gripe is with SPVA, for me and many thousands of others they do a great job; when allowed to do so.

Latest Threads