Why learn French language and culture at schools?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Oi Blud, Jan 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know why French language and culture in particular is taught at schools, as if it's supposed to be better than English or something? Do they expect us to use it later on in life? I'd understand if they taught the language of a Commonwealth country (IE Burmese, Nepalese etc).

The other week, I looked at Thai, Indonesian etc. and found them easier to pronounce, as French has to be spoken in a particular way which I find harder. Many countries also have had problems adapting to French language.

The only advantage I find with French language is for those intending to join the Legion, that's it.
  2. Historicaly French was the language ofInternational Diplomacy.
  3. Possibly because France is our closest neighbour, although I had more of a penchant for German at school.
  4. Why don't you learn Welsh then? You won't even have to leave the UK to speak a foreign language.

Or if you're feeling adventurous you could go to LatAm and search out some of the small communities there that speak it. Talking of which how about Africaans? they also speak it in SA - a Commonwealth country - and it's very similar to Flemish: handy for those scrotey booze cruises to Belgium.
  5. So was Latin. French will be just as dead soon.
  6. It helps to remind you of your heritage.
    • Like Like x 1

7. You think the French will just take their language and bin it? Thankfully America taught the world how to speak American to the world !

8. foreign language----foreign fucking language!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Because it gives us a greater insight into their own culture, as we kick the shit out of them. Or at least as we should be doing.
  10. It's so school teachers can have free holiday at the parents expense
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Got a lively one here. Let's just reel her in and see what we've got.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. surely learning any foreign language is an advantage for children,but then in my experience with the english abroad has shown as a race we are to lazy to attempt to learn the language of the countries we are living in it the time, always in the belief that the louder we shout in english the easier foreigners will understand us,
  13. Because you're a cunt.
  14. It will go into the same bin as other antiquated languages such as, oooh, Welsh say.
    • Like Like x 1