Why KFS?

It's a silly, pedantic question, I know, but why do we say knife, fork, spoon?

Alphabetically, it should be FKS. In order of usefulness (for eating, at least) it should be SKF. And in order of arrangement on the table, it's FKS (left to right, front to back).

Just wondered, as in my naivety as a recruit, I took an extra KF shirt instead of gobblers.

putteesinmyhands said:

Alphabetically, it should be FKS. In order of usefulness (for eating, at least) it should be SKF. And in order of arrangement on the table, it's FKS (left to right, front to back).

Just wondered, as in my naivety as a recruit, I took an extra KF shirt instead of gobblers.
Do me a favour - try to get out more.

putteesinmyhands said:

and 5.56's true identity is revealed :lol: :lol: :lol:

putteesinmyhands said:

Having a slow day day, I take it.

Main course eaten with a knife and fork, that order as we have seen due to politness and to avoid a dig in the mouth. The next course is eaten with the spoon. That would lead to the correct order of KFS. And before any silly bugger suggests that the first spoon needed is the soup spoon, you will kindly note that we never got issued a soup spoon, just a desert spoon. all seems perfectly reasonable to me. :roll:

Officers may have been issues SKFS, but I doubt it :?

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
I think it is based on a combination of adding spoon to "knife and fork" and the phonetic ease of KFS in that order. It flows slightly more gracefully in speech.

Its to do with Linguistics.

Sounds made at the back of the throat formed by the vocal chords always precede the sounds made by the tongue and cheeks at the front of the mouth - when words are paired together. if you annunciate K,F,S your cheeks and tongue each move progressively forwards coming from a tensed state to a more relaxed one, any other combination stops the natural action.

(Elocution lessons Pillager, you did have pretentious parents- It was elocution it wasnt speech therapy!!!!!!)

It is listed in order of discovery/invention.

Knife first as it was invented by Uggh the caveman when he cut his hand off playing with a sharp bit of flint.
Fork second as this was invented by Diomedes when he found it useful in holding his young friends still during Greek "bonding" sessions.
Spoon comes last as this was invented/designed by the Romans.Probably for some debauced use during thier infamous dinners.

So now you now.

just avoid all this confusion by simply packing a spoon (racing) MK 1

anything else is for homos and dinner parties...

and homo dinner parties.

Plant-Pilot said:
Main course eaten with a knife and fork, that order as we have seen due to politness and to avoid a dig in the mouth. The next course is eaten with the spoon. That would lead to the correct order of KFS. And before any silly bugger suggests that the first spoon needed is the soup spoon, you will kindly note that we never got issued a soup spoon, just a desert spoon. all seems perfectly reasonable to me. :roll:

for officers it should have been SSFFKKFSDFPGCK

Soup Spoon, Fork and Fish Knife,KFS, Desert Fork, Port Glass, Cheese knife...

Humphrey_De_Tiluel said:

A PORT GLASS?
Where were you brought up?

It should naturally be a different wine, and glass for each course.

Soup - depends, but probably a light white.
Fish - Oaky, Chardonay maybe.
Main dish - Again depends, but lets settle on what my Grand-papa [sic] used to call "a GOC", a Good Ordinary Claret.
Desert - Some people stick with the red, but I like a nice sweet ice-wine.
Cheese
Then you can move onto the port, although some may prefer a decent brandy.

and don't forget the RNH - Ring, Napkin holder

PB

Humphrey_De_Tiluel said:
Plant-Pilot said:

Oooh! You have a special Telic fork? And don't forget the starboard glass (red wine in port glass, white in starboard glass, fortified wine direct from the decanter when al fresco).

Latest Threads