Why KFS?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by putteesinmyhands, May 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's a silly, pedantic question, I know, but why do we say knife, fork, spoon?

Alphabetically, it should be FKS. In order of usefulness (for eating, at least) it should be SKF. And in order of arrangement on the table, it's FKS (left to right, front to back).

Just wondered, as in my naivety as a recruit, I took an extra KF shirt instead of gobblers.
  2. Well, you say 'knife and fork' don't you? Just add a spoon to it and you've got KFS.
  3. Good God! 8O That must have been a long time ago (when the KFS was made of bone perhaps?)
  4. Do me a favour - try to get out more.
  5. and 5.56's true identity is revealed :lol: :lol: :lol:
  6. When I was in the OTC one of my mates thought KFS stood for "kit for swimming".
  7. Having a slow day day, I take it.
  8. So nobody knows, then? Not even an educated guess?
  9. But we say "knife and fork" because if you said "Give me a fork and knife," you'd only get a knife.
  10. With manners like that you wouldn't even get a knife! :D
  11. Main course eaten with a knife and fork, that order as we have seen due to politness and to avoid a dig in the mouth. The next course is eaten with the spoon. That would lead to the correct order of KFS. And before any silly bugger suggests that the first spoon needed is the soup spoon, you will kindly note that we never got issued a soup spoon, just a desert spoon. all seems perfectly reasonable to me. :roll:

Officers may have been issues SKFS, but I doubt it :?
  12. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

I think it is based on a combination of adding spoon to "knife and fork" and the phonetic ease of KFS in that order. It flows slightly more gracefully in speech.
  13. Its to do with Linguistics.

Sounds made at the back of the throat formed by the vocal chords always precede the sounds made by the tongue and cheeks at the front of the mouth - when words are paired together. if you annunciate K,F,S your cheeks and tongue each move progressively forwards coming from a tensed state to a more relaxed one, any other combination stops the natural action.

(Elocution lessons Pillager, you did have pretentious parents- It was elocution it wasnt speech therapy!!!!!!)
  14. It is listed in order of discovery/invention.

Knife first as it was invented by Uggh the caveman when he cut his hand off playing with a sharp bit of flint.
    Fork second as this was invented by Diomedes when he found it useful in holding his young friends still during Greek "bonding" sessions.
    Spoon comes last as this was invented/designed by the Romans.Probably for some debauced use during thier infamous dinners.

So now you now.