Why join the British Army? by Andy McNob

T

Tremaine

Had a date once with a very nice woman, who did well through lunch, until she said something along these lines "squaddies just join because they can't get good jobs or they're ....." Lunch was suddenly Dutch and she walked home, or took the 'bus, or something. No idea really.

Go to the TA forum, there are still some people in there that think that way about the regs! Cant believe they still think that we dont own houses, cant vote and the army pension is pennies (mines bloody good!)

As much as not everyone was a fcuking retard the majority do join because there is fcuk all else better to do... If we're honest!

Its a decent read.

Anyone who thought the army was for thick people who can't do anything has never worked in a call centre because thats where these thick cnuts are.

Closet_Jibber said:
As much as not everyone was a fcuking retard the majority do join because there is fcuk all else better to do... If we're honest!
Agreed. But it's not because yon folks are too thick (which they really aren't), it's because there's no work in their neck of the woods. And let's face it, it's miles better than hanging around and chugging cider, innit?

MsG

Have you tried calling MCM Div? The civvies working there are absolute mince! They had to take their PCs away from them and give them chalk boards because the tipex was ruining the monitors!

Bugsy said:
Closet_Jibber said:
But naff all to do with intelligence or education - in my intake there were 2 graduates and several people with A Levels, four of us who passed out went to Sandhurst (Non LE).

Yes there are some intellectual mongs, but not to the degree that some people think. In fact, when I remember some of the mongs who turned up at Sutton Colfield and failed it makes me wonder what job they are doing now. NHS perhaps (if we're going to be prejudiced).

I've met the people I'd be responsible for in the army, and I've met the people I'd be responsible for in much of the civilian world.

It's enough in itself to keep me on my track to Sandhurst with all the energy I have!

Good article, but you can bet anything you like that it won't make the slightest dent in the common prejudices. They run too deep.

IIRC Andy McNab asserted in his first book that he joined the Army himself because he was pretty much too thick to do anything else.

That article was pretty much spot on in all respects. Going off thread slightly, I think this country has a quite fcuked view on what constitutes a valid education. I am still perplexed as to why a four- year engineering apprenticeship is seen as inferior to a degree in something like Sports Science, especially since experiencing what a degree actually involves.

Dragstrip said:
IIRC Andy McNab asserted in his first book that he joined the Army himself because he was pretty much too thick to do anything else.
He is right in saying that just because he was dyslexic that it is not a full extent to how intelligent Andy really is . I personally think Andy is a very intelligent gentleman and for reasons which will remain personal to him that he did he did not have the best education in life when he was younger.

Andy McNab, author of Bravo Two Zero, was the country's most decorated soldier when he left the SAS in 1993
Is this correct?

Good article, amazing how many of our Commonwealth cousins were joining up - good on them.

Good article. In a way I can understand that there are folk out there joining up cause of the current job issue but this doesnt mean squaddies are thick or couldnt get a good job. Im from a Commonwealth country and been living in Scotland 4 years now, with a great job which pays well and Ive just joined up does that mean im thick???? Nope. Civilians will never understand doesnt matter how much Ive tried to tell friends they still doesnt understand why Ive done it.

Oyibo said:
Bugsy said:
Closet_Jibber said:
But naff all to do with intelligence or education - in my intake there were 2 graduates and several people with A Levels, four of us who passed out went to Sandhurst (Non LE)..
Having 1/3 of a BA in Arts from a well-regarded uni, one of the most valuable things it taught me was that intelligence, education and insight are three quite separate things. I had intelligence and education enough, but a toe-curlingly-complete lack of insight until the age of 24 (and counting :wink: ). I was in the uni regiment, and sleepwalking through the officer training process, until reality started to intrude...I'd have been a bloody menace as an officer back then.

Im applying for infantry after I get my LASEK surgery in a few weeks time. Assuming I will get a years deferral, which gives me plenty more time to continue improving my fitness.

I got a 2:1 in biosciences from Manchester university. My time as a student left me with the impression that most students are :-

1) Lazy
2) Stupid
3) Cnuts

To me getting a degree is utterly pointless, because the whole system is designed around pumping out these throwaway qualifications. I did a respectable subject, and it was filled with idiots. Most of the other subjects were even worse (fashion studies).

So if anyone is ever feeling a bit insecure about their supposed lack of education, being a squaddie or whatever, don't. All a university degree does is surround you with booze and sexy yet vapid people. Most of them are coming out of uni 30k in the hole and with a degree in facebook.

Once upon a time we didn't get mad at civvies because they hated us, we just shagged their daughters.

T-shirt: 'Don't get mad, get a leg over. Shag Army"

To say that soldiers are thick is totally wrong, I would say some are just not quick in picking up military drills, but that changes as they go on.
People join up for a variety of reasons, no jobs in their locality, want to challenge themselves, had enough of working in call centres as there are no other "proper" jobs etc etc.
As for the NUT and other teaching unions, they are probably worried as they have been found out, their members aren't doing their jobs properly and trying to pass the buck onto the military system.

pandora said:
Dragstrip said:
He is right in saying that just because he was dyslexic that it is not a full extent to how intelligent Andy really is . I personally think Andy is a very intelligent gentleman and for reasons which will remain personal to him that he did he did not have the best education in life when he was younger.
Do one Chubb!