Why is Winchester shit?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by batmanwasjesus, Mar 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have been undertaking Phase 1 training for a while now, and have come to the conclusion that this ATR would appear to be the MOD equivalent of colditz. Only allowed out after week 7 (im in week 10), and then only allowed out for 4 hours, between 1330 and 1730? No alcohol? No female recruits? Are other ATR's this strict, or is it just us poor mugs here? comments please!
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Compared to 20 years ago its a holiday camp!
  3. You are in training! Your point is..................?

The fact you have time to access the internet is a bonus, now get on with it!!! We have all done it, and probably much worse than the Hampshire Butlins.

Chin Up!

4. Compared to 40 years ago..... er..... I can't remember! :scratch:

Get on with it - only another 22 to do! :thumleft:
  5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Because by the sounds of it you can't be trusted to be out by yourself. It's an Army Training Establishment, what do you expect?
  6. Was looking for comparisons from other recruits currently at / just passed out of phase 1.

Although much obliged for the helpful comments from the Flintstones. Just out of interest, is the MKII Slingshot still in use? :numberone:
  7. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  8. No Problem! - Just arranged 6 extras for you!

9. Are all recruits this dim, or is it just this mug here? :slow:
  10. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Could be a WAH!
  11. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Not really mate, I joined up some 20 years ago and underwent basic training in Catterick (lovely Helles Barracks). We were allowed out after week 3 with no restrictions whatsoever.
  12. If you wanted Butlins, you went into the wrong shop.
  13. And 30 years ago was murder.
  14. Compared to doing basic an Peninsula Barracks 30ish years ago that is harsh. However, had we had acomodation and facilities like those you have at Sir John Moore we may not have needed to get out so often. We never had female recruits either.

When we did get out it was only to drink and fight....and we only had to stagger up the hill to get back. Gods knows whether any of us would have made it back to Sir John Moore, couldn't afford a cab (pre maggie thatchers 1979 pay rise), no sensible bus driver would have stopped for us and I am not sure we were sober enough to walk it without getting killed.

Anyway, I still enjoy the occasional drink in Winchester and I don't need a bunch of recruits swanning around trying to look like steely eyed dealers of death.

I shall be contacting your RSM to tell him what a fine job he is doing.
  15. I worked at the ATR in winchester, you aren't allowed out because you turn into a bunch of cnuts when you go to town for a pint, trying to take on the AGC regs on a course and losing, I never had to lock so many ********** up on an orderly sergeant duty in all my career.

And YES it is a holiday camp, like it or leave it but don't come on here telling people you're being mis treated You lightweight oxygen thieving piece of turd, you probably haven't earned the right to wear flesh yet.

Its about learning discipline. or are you a fox platoon mong

editted to add another dig.