Why is Vinyl making a comeback

I am a bit of a vinyl addict. I love it. I bought a turntable a couple of years ago and started with replacing the albums I had when I was younger. Since then and especially over lockdown I have expanded my collection. I love the feel of a complete album, the sleeve, the vinyl, the sound. If I play music digitally or on CD i dont feel the same and have it more as background music. However i will sit down and appreciate and listen to a vinyl album. I post whatever im listening to every day on Instagram. My weakness is having a couple of drinks and watching a music channel or documentary and ending up spending on ebay to try and get original vinyl.
I do not see that as a weakness, I see that as the actions of a normal balanced person...... buying the FD 20 variable viscous paddle for your SME 3009 pick up arm to stop bass resonance positive feedback is a sign you are playing it FAR too loud and are going to get visits from the police...... so I've heard.

Last edited:

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
The best sound quality I've ever heard (other than live) was a LinnSondek with an Itok arm (can't remember the cartridge) via a Quad 66/606 and a set of studio monitor B&W 801s. The guy who owned it played me some John Williams classical guitar records and I could have sworn that JW was sitting at the other side of the room.

I'm not running anything as exotic, but an AR EB101 / Quad 34/306 / EPOS ES15s or if I want a change then B&W 601s. CDs are via a Quad 66. The Quad bits have all been serviced by Quad a few years ago.

Listening to tracks that blend into each other on CD e.g. Genesis "Duke" has pauses between the tracks which annoys me, and also I quite enjoy the sides of an album for older music as quite often they were intended to be listened to as Side 1 and Side 2.

Am I mad on vinyl? No, especially some of the crappy pressings that do the original no justice. I've binned several albums just because of the poor quality of the pressing. One of the worst was a copy of the Quadrophenia soundtrack which went back to the shop.

Istill playCDs too, but I do quite like to dip into my vinyl collection now and again.

The best sound quality I've ever heard (other than live) was a LinnSondek with an Itok arm (can't remember the cartridge) via a Quad 66/606 and a set of studio monitor B&W 801s. The guy who owned it played me some John Williams classical guitar records and I could have sworn that JW was sitting at the other side of the room.

I'm not running anything as exotic, but an AR EB101 / Quad 34/306 / EPOS ES15s or if I want a change then B&W 601s. CDs are via a Quad 66. The Quad bits have all been serviced by Quad a few years ago.

Listening to tracks that blend into each other on CD e.g. Genesis "Duke" has pauses between the tracks which annoys me, and also I quite enjoy the sides of an album for older music as quite often they were intended to be listened to as Side 1 and Side 2.

Am I mad on vinyl? No, especially some of the crappy pressings that do the original no justice. I've binned several albums just because of the poor quality of the pressing. One of the worst was a copy of the Quadrophenia soundtrack which went back to the shop.

Istill playCDs too, but I do quite like to dip into my vinyl collection now and again.
That's the sound (with a less than 72 dB S/N ratio) of a normal rational man talking about Hi-fi..... bloody rare concept.

A mate out in Dubai had a number of amps, decks and amongst his speakers he had a set of these Ribbon Speakers.

They looked absolutely horrendous and because he had a villa that was concrete walls with tiled floors it was a total waste - he put up loads of acoustic 'pictures' up but they did bugger all.

A mate out in Dubai had a number of amps, decks and amongst his speakers he had a set of these Ribbon Speakers.

They looked absolutely horrendous and because he had a villa that was concrete walls with tiled floors it was a total waste - he put up loads of acoustic 'pictures' up but they did bugger all.
You can't "buy" hifi,,.............you can "purchase" hifi..... got to know the difference, and if you don't know.... your wasting faddy money.

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE

The Linn Sondek is a fantastic deck. A friend of mine has a Linn Axis sat gathering dust in his garage. ******* criminal waste.
I'm running a Rega Plannar 3 at the minute and the two Technic 1200s in the music room.

The Linn Sondek is a fantastic deck. A friend of mine has a Linn Axis sat gathering dust in his garage. ******* criminal waste.
I'm running a Rega Plannar 3 at the minute and the two Technic 1200s in the music room.
Black
I remember in the early 90s when you could go into a record shop and buy an album or single on as a record, CD or a cassette.
I remember when an album was half a guinea (10 and 6)..... bloody hell I'm old.

In the 1980s (before I joined the army) I used to trawl record fayres (as I think they were called). Beyond the already serious collectors you could buy records labelled ‘played once’ (ie recorded to tape); ’played’ (ie a few times), and ‘worn’ (ie anyone’s guess). The latter were about 25p and those were the ones to go for. At the time that was stuff with a cool cover, so mainly prog rock and speed metal.
I joined the army and gave most of them away.
A few years back my dad loaned* me his records, which had some of mine in there and some from my late aunt’s collection.
It has everything in there from ‘Revolver’ on HorZu to Yes to Johnny Cash to my early Iron Maiden stuff.
It‘s a slice of family history. My dad played ‘Revolver’ when he was a squaddie in Germany ( REME VM ). My late aunt is much missed, and for some reason, handling the record sleeve takes you back to better times, as well as the music.
*They are on loan. Somehow vinyl is always on loan.
So: dunno about comeback. It sounds better, but it has a heritage. A deep heritage.

Teeblerone

War Hero
In the 1980s (before I joined the army) I used to trawl record fayres (as I think they were called). Beyond the already serious collectors you could buy records labelled ‘played once’ (ie recorded to tape); ’played’ (ie a few times), and ‘worn’ (ie anyone’s guess). The latter were about 25p and those were the ones to go for. At the time that was stuff with a cool cover, so mainly prog rock and speed metal.
A few years back my dad loaned* me his records, which had some of mine in there and some from my late aunt’s collection.
It has everything in there from ‘Revolver’ on HorZu to Yes to Johnny Cash to my early Iron Maiden stuff.
It‘s a slice of family history. My dad played ‘Revolver’ when he was a squaddie in Germany ( REME VM ). My late aunt is much missed, and for some reason, handling the record sleeve takes you back to better times, as well as the music.
So: dunno about comeback. It sounds better, but it has a heritage. A deep heritage.
True! I've still got my aunt's Beatles' records. And I don't like the Beatles

I agree.....

But I've just got Alexa to play Pink Floyds Animals by voice command whilst typing this.

See the rig-mar-rol playing a hi spec vinyl record.... took the heart out of the spontaneity of the concept.

Fortunately, my crazy desire for the Ultimate Hi-Fi was balanced by my other requirement to shoot anything slightly Russian that came across the border. otherwise I could have gone mad.

20 years later..... hi Mick! Still got that arse kicking hi-fi?

Last edited:
True! I've still got my aunt's Beatles' records. And I don't like the Beatles
Come on, you do. Everyone does.
My favourite album of all time mate (said in proper Smashie and Nicey voice mate) was one of my Aunts, and might be played soon:
1614377509397.jpeg

Teeblerone

War Hero
Come on, you do. Everyone does.
My favourite album of all time mate (said in proper Smashie and Nicey voice mate) was one of my Aunts, and might be played soon:
View attachment 552844
Straight up: they make me itch! I KNOW they were innovative, interestin' (sitars!) and all that..but nah! dribblyshite! Paperback writer had a good chord shift or something..HelterSkelter was good coz other people did it, Tomorrow never knows was good . coz it was the other 1/2's shagging song.
Oasis are shite an' all ;)

Kirkz

LE
I said this on another forum I frequent & got nothing but derision, but I think the Beatles were over hyped pop pap. They made a few good foot tappers, but that’s it.
Right place right time, that's all there is to it.
The vast majority of there stuff could have been written by anyone it's that basic.

Latest Threads