Why is Vinyl making a comeback

And remember.... you also had "hi-fi" vinyl and regular "bog standard for the masses" vinyl. EMI use to indicate that you had paid well over the odds for one by a red band on the edge of the centre label..... which they also use to do on their CD's after the original "hi-fi" stamping had been MP3 butchered...... what really surprises me, looking back over the last 40 odd years, is that electro-static speakers are still just a seriously expensive niche.
I'm sure they could be be made far better and far cheaper today.

Last edited:
The vast majority of under 35s would look blankly at you when asked "What's your favourite track on side 2 ?"
Early 1970's Germany we had a Monty Python album that had two grooves on one side.

It played different sketches, depending where the needle fell at the start.

Having played it a couple of times, we had to scratch our heads when we turned the record over expecting to hear familiar stuff but found and now for something completely different.

Early 1970's Germany we had a Monty Python album that had two grooves on one side.

It played different sketches, depending where the needle fell at the start.

Having played it a couple of times, we had to scratch our heads when we turned the record over expecting to hear familiar stuff but found and now for something completely different.

YES! two parallel tracks starting 180 degrees from each other!

If you went through ALL the money and pain of setting up your transcription turntable, and the hi-spec "top of the range" pick-up arm (SME 3009 S2), and the cartridge, and the shell, and the "Advanced" stylus, and the fluid damper.... and still found you failed track 3 of your stereo test album.... you could consider going with cassettes might be good for your nerves.

Now calibrating the £1,000 Technics 9900 SE/SU single cassette player (Yes, it comes it two units) involves having the tiny screwdriver that came with it and naturally assumes you have a working understanding of tape biasing and Dolby B to set it up..........

Lord knows what the knob twiddler is doing but he don't own that rig (Clue is he's turning the headphone volume knob and there's no headphones connected and the socket is next to the knob).

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE
If you went through ALL the money and pain of setting up your transcription turntable, and the hi-spec "top of the range" pick-up arm (SME 3009 S2), and the cartridge, and the shell, and the "Advanced" stylus, and the fluid damper.... and still found you failed track 3 of your stereo test album.... you could consider sticking with cassettes might be good for your nerves.

Now setting up the £1,000 Technics 9900 SE/SU single cassette player (Yes, it comes it two units) involves having the tiny screwdriver that came with it and assumes you have a basic understanding of tape biasing and Dolby B...

Lord knows what the knob twiddler is doing but he don't own that rig (Clue is he's turning the headphone volume knob and there's no headphones connected).
A mate of mine spent £2500 on his stereo another £400 on the stand for it and £150 on the stylus, spent days setting it up even using a spirit level to position the stand then complained his work mates stereo sounded better and he'd got it from a skip at the scrapyard.

A mate of mine spent £2500 on his stereo another £400 on the stand for it and £150 on the stylus, spent days setting it up even using a spirit level to position the stand then complained his work mates stereo sounded better and he'd got it from a skip at the scrapyard.
I use to use a mirror to get my stylus perfectly 90 Degrees to the platen.. At a certain point you realise you have turned into a hi-fi dyckhead.

But those days are gone, repeated 7.62 has buggered the right ear and a close thunderflash has snookered the left, plus, at my age, both ears have now gone into serious max wax mode!

But at the end of the day, when CD's turned up they were God's gift.... now people are more discerning, yes, we did sell a bit of the quality for the ease... but now the recording studios go straight to digital.... if you so over sample it... what is Quantisation noise compared to original recording tape hiss (Normally removed digitally).

Vinyl... faddy... and bloody hard to get your Iphone XII to play.

Last edited:

Alamo

LE
Not as easy as digital files. Some DJs prefer vinyl in the same way some people prefer to cut their lawns with shears. Fine if they want to **** themselves around, but no one who is thinking rationally would do so.
You can get more natural bass on vinyl, and the wider the groove the more bass, which is why DJs prefer 12” discs.

I have a 35 year old turntable from eBay sitting on a stand I made from a piece of oak. I did buy a new stylus for it though.

You can get more natural bass on vinyl, and the wider the groove the more bass, which is why DJs prefer 12” discs.
Read my post earlier ref Electro-static speakers? They shift a more natural bass due to they being in a constant flux (unlike static speakers) they don't waste the front edge of the bass music wave in overcoming the inertia of the mass of the cone to just get it moving..... of course you could crowbar the operation with statics and just put an extra 6 dB (x 4) on the bass (Boost) at the amp with a flick of a switch that never ends up getting un-flicked.... But it does not fix the original problem.

Last edited:

giatttt

War Hero
But those days are gone, repeated 7.62 has buggered the right ear and a close thunderflash has snookered the left, plus, at my age, both ears have now gone into serious max wax mode!

I occasionally have to do the sound mixing for touring bands at a local venue and they have real problems as I can't hear the buzz and hiss from duff kit and things like crap LED lights.

I occasionally have to do the sound mixing for touring bands at a local venue and they have real problems as I can't hear the buzz and hiss from duff kit and things like crap LED lights.
It's all good earthing...... do that again and I will so earth you archaeologists won't find you.

If you went through ALL the money and pain of setting up your transcription turntable, and the hi-spec "top of the range" pick-up arm (SME 3009 S2), and the cartridge, and the shell, and the "Advanced" stylus, and the fluid damper.... and still found you failed track 3 of your stereo test album.... you could consider going with cassettes might be good for your nerves.

Now calibrating the £1,000 Technics 9900 SE/SU single cassette player (Yes, it comes it two units) involves having the tiny screwdriver that came with it and naturally assumes you have a working understanding of tape biasing and Dolby B to set it up..........

Lord knows what the knob twiddler is doing but he don't own that rig (Clue is he's turning the headphone volume knob and there's no headphones connected and the socket is next to the knob).
I had a Nakamichi Tape Deck back in the day that was worth more than my car (I had one of their car stereos in there too!) that was superb but you had to 'tune' it to the cassette.

I had a Nakamichi Tape Deck back in the day that was worth more than my car (I had one of their car stereos in there too!) that was superb but you had to 'tune' it to the cassette.
Yep... you had to set it up to the "batch"..... hence why I rather bought all 200 Maxwell UDXLs cassettes from Herford NAAFI so I didn't have to set up the recorder again.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I use to use a mirror to get my stylus perfectly 90 Degrees to the platen.. At a certain point you realise you have turned into a hi-fi dyckhead.

But at the end of the day, when CD's turned up they were God's gift.... now people are more discerning, yes, we did sell a bit of the quality for the ease... but now the recording studios go straight to digital.... if you so over sample it... what is Quantisation noise compared to original recording tape hiss (Normally removed digitally).

Vinyl... faddy... and bloody hard to get your Iphone XII to play.
See, there's your problem, if you had a Samsung or any other Android phone, you'd be quids in!

See, there's your problem, if you had a Samsung or any other Android phone, you'd be quids in!
Damn... I have "any other Android phone!...... so how does it work"?

Vinyl.. even the recording industry won't use tape.... a pure digitised recorded.......digitised playback does not need a redundant medium like vinyl to get in it's way.

Last edited:
It's all good earthing...... do that again and I will so earth you archaeologists won't find you.
There's is/was a venue in Chelmsford that everyone went through at one point and it was known for the nearby Police Station radio output to come through the amps - I thought it was rubbish until it happened to us halfway through a set.

There's is/was a venue in Chelmsford that everyone went through at one point and it was known for the nearby Police Station radio output to come through the amps - I thought it was rubbish until it happened to us halfway through a set.
Was one guard tower around Lisburn camp that permanently received one particular Spanish radio channel.

As Signals... and as the guard commander... I had to go and check it....it was true, I knew why but it wasn't worth fixing..... if some lad stagged on listening to whispers of Spanish romance.... better than jissing over the radiator 5 seconds before handover.

Last edited:

TARE

Old-Salt
I am a bit of a vinyl addict. I love it. I bought a turntable a couple of years ago and started with replacing the albums I had when I was younger. Since then and especially over lockdown I have expanded my collection. I love the feel of a complete album, the sleeve, the vinyl, the sound. If I play music digitally or on CD i dont feel the same and have it more as background music. However i will sit down and appreciate and listen to a vinyl album. I post whatever im listening to every day on Instagram. My weakness is having a couple of drinks and watching a music channel or documentary and ending up spending on ebay to try and get original vinyl.

I am a bit of a vinyl addict. I love it. I bought a turntable a couple of years ago and started with replacing the albums I had when I was younger. Since then and especially over lockdown I have expanded my collection. I love the feel of a complete album, the sleeve, the vinyl, the sound. If I play music digitally or on CD i dont feel the same and have it more as background music. However i will sit down and appreciate and listen to a vinyl album. I post whatever im listening to every day on Instagram. My weakness is having a couple of drinks and watching a music channel or documentary and ending up spending on ebay to try and get original vinyl.
STOP SPENDING on ebay....................

Latest Threads