Why is this so often the case?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ADBO, May 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reading the Mail online today and came across this:

SOE agents Didi Nearne: Revealed for the first time, the awe-inspiring courage of two British sisters who waged a one-family war on the Nazis - and were left with emotional scars that never healed | Mail Online

These two sisters carried out their jobs in the most intense circumstances and more than likely saved lives, yet died alone and unrecognised. People like that seems always to be the unimposing "look at me" sort and it I feel so frustrated that we salute them once they've gone.

RIP ladies and thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  2. My Grandad never discussed what he did or saw during the war.He was not particularly brave or heroic,it's a generational thing.He was given a job and got on with it.Like a lot of his generation.

• Like Like x 3
  3. RIP Ladies and thank you for your service to our parents/granparents

A lot of people kept very quiet on thier wartime activities, they took the vows of secrecy very seriously

4. Horst Kopkow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vera Atkins was after this one. Vera another redoubtable lady of that generation.

I will never know the answers. But I remain interested in a condition called Pes Recurvatus. Usually only occurs congenitally. But may be the result of commercial diving accident I think. Then the unanswered question did SOE ladies tortured by Kopkow and his agents develop this diaphragm area deformity by injury.

The Attorney General is still using absolute secret custodianship of "Public interest" to refuse access to High Court for a determination.

The alternative explanation is that someone familiar with Kopkow's techniques was active in England shortly after the 1971 release scheme from German postwar internment run by ex SOE Sue Ryder and her charity founder Airey Neave. Neave being the former Nuremberg screening prosecutor who was involved in letting monsters like Kopkow get better treatment than the brave SOE ladies who survived.

Real Politik or something is it ?

Thank you for posting the thread. Lest we forget.

5. You've got to admire the Waffen SS, haven't you?

• Like Like x 4
  6. I've not double-checked any of this but thought someone else may well have.

One reason that we know so little is that surviving SOE files are small in number, having been 'lost in a fire' at Montague Mansions, filleted by H. Philby jr, and improbably just plain lost.

Philby knew the agents between 1940 and 1941 because he was helping to train them in political warfare. The Soviet Union was not interested in Allied success in Western Europe except insofar as it helped them regain and gain territory or influence or both. So Philby is likely to have attempted to sabotage every SOE operation that he knew anything about.

The tragedy is that the men and women who did survive and about whom we know so little took their duty and honour to mean just that. They were not interested in rumours, gossip or lying except when in occupied countries. If it occurred to them that records of their work were pretty swiftly destroyed, I suspect that they put personal honour first and kept quiet.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

7. I often watch WW2 documentaries and what fascinates me is just how many stories there are to be told; all of which seem incredible today. In that context of the time, returning to a tired country where the extraordinary had become ordinary, I expect they just didn't feel like big-timing it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Young Brave and Beautiful a book about Violette Szabo an SOE is a superb insight into the work these people did; I cant believe that anyone could not have respect for the courageous and dangerous lives they lived.

the film of the book Carve her Name with Pride I think its called is no comparison to the book

I have the book and when I get round to it will be putting it to auction for the hols for heros

9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

people took the official secrets act very seriously back then unlike now. look at the trouble they had tracing bletchley workers or getting them to talk about it.

just wait till all the cold war stories come out - no medals either

• Like Like x 1
  10. Considering some of the tales by those in FASB (Brixmis) I wouldn't mind knowing more. I never knew if the one I met were all just pulling wind ups or genuinely did do such and such.

11. I read the article about the SOE ladies. I'm glad I never had to find out if I could do what they did. Incredible courage.

12. I disagree. 99% of lads from this generation go off to sandy places, do their job and come back without any great fanfare or big timing.

(With the possible exception of the SAS- the big timing, book writing beefers)

13. It's funny. I googled 'Pes Recurvatus' because I've never heard of it before. Strangely enough, it appears Google hasn't either because the only two results for it are this thread and this brain damaged individual.

How's it going Richard?

14. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

what was woman doing in a shed though?