WHY IS THIS FUNDAMENTAL SKILL NOT SUPPORTED

Discussion in 'RLC' started by shootingchef388, Apr 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The turnout of Major units for this years RLC CORPSAAM was at the best dissapointing, at the worst a blatant dereliction of a fundamental military skill.

CORPSAAM provides an ideal opportunity for a young officer to 'put themselves out there'. Yet at this years event there were 4 YO's. My own experience of trying to get them to compete is disheartening to say the least, being met with such replies as "far to cold in feb" "I really am very busy" "Shooting?".

In the current operational climate where a SOLDIER be they chef, supplier, driver etc may be called upon to actually responsibly discharge their weapon in support or defence of others the representation of the Corp this year was dismall.

I have heard the phrase "whats CORPSAAM then" countless times which would indicate that it is not very well plugged within the RLC. Yet evry year we put on Orders the request for support for shooting teams "come along etc" and CORPSAAM is the same time every year and has always been so.

I would like to hear the Corps veiws on WHY THIS FUNDAMENTAL MILITARY SKILL IS NOT JUST UNSUPPORTED BUT ACTIVELY AVOIDED.

VEIWS PLEASE

2. Im ex RAOC and RLC and funnily enough you are right in what you say. It seems that only aa select few ever get the chance as , dare I utter it, seniors and officers would rather see vehicles greased and stores counted!

3. I completed last year and enjoyed it, that we went onto DIVSAAM and got lads over to Bisley as well. The reason why this year i and a team could not get to the CORPSAAM was after trying to rasie a team at last minute (as always we do!), couldn't get people released from Sqns. :x

Trying to get a team for the SAAM in Germany (by the way anyone know the dates and where new to Germany?) and afer placing said request on Regt Pt 1, i got the grand total of no replies. It isn't the fact that seniors and officers would rather see vehicles greased and stores counted, it is getting the time and the right caliber of bloke to compete, and as we all know these days no matter what line of job we are in the blokes that you need are the younger element, but they do not want to put the effort in as it means early starts, late finishes and the occassion weekend. :evil:

Last year the team that i was with trained for 4-5 months and we won silverware, this year they had a great team again. Shows what can happen if the young blood get involved early enough. :D

4. I loved shooting and shot on a regular basis at SEDSAAM and CORPSAAM. As time has moved on it is not just the Friday early finish and sports afternoons that have faded out. Other good stuff like shooting has also faded out. Soldier first - apparently not, it is just an old saying now and certainly not practised. All those on a "We love the RLC" campaign I am sure will now enlighten me that I am wrong, that I should walk out of work and go shooting waving my RLC flag. Soldier first - I wish.

Amended to also add that shooting not only takes people out of work but also costs money. It is also enjoyable (now we have got rid of most bad MTI's) so work must come first.

5. Costs money yes but the investment in skills and practice is certainly worth the outlay. Totally agree it is the young blood we should be investing in but where is the leadership from the junior sub alterns. Surely it should not be up to WO's/SNCOs and LE officers all the time. I firmly beleive in the soldier first attitude and any of my troops will vouch for that, but my point is in a Corp of approx 12000 soldiers why is shooting so badly supported...........12000 soldiers 130 at a major Corp competition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

6. I would love to join you on the ranges. I would love to get the lads out but who is going to take up the work. We barely manage to get the APWT in. Our Sqn is planning to do Mil training at weekends as there is no time during the week. We have no slack in the system to allow us the time to do the good stuff, the stuff I joined up for. I read with interest a REME thread and some of them also seem to be in the same boat. The only answer I can see is to turn back the clock to pre Options for Change.

The very stuff people join up for is put second in the work place, infact I think it is lower on the priority order than H&S. Shooting, good training, OTX's and courses help retain soldiers but we don't drop everything and make these our priority. I would far rather be on the ranges than sat in my office and I assure you I am as disillusioned by it as you are. I had a good friend leave the Army, infact he was forced out as he was told to make a choice, his climbing expeds or his trade.

Soldiers first - we should be but soldiering does not come first in my part of the RLC.

7. Well as we all know the Army just isnt what it used to be..... Now its just work, work and some more work. If units cant find time for sports afternoons or NAAFI breaks then they sure aint gonna find the time to allow soldiers to get away and compete in CORPSAAM. I strongly think more bosses should realise that the work will still be there the next day. It aint gonna run away! I do agree that some things need to be done but bosses are so insecure these days they feel the need to have lads around for a "just incase plan". Values and standards springs to mind.

8. Yes i agree with the statement that all subbies should be leading from the front, however in the form of competitions, not all can get away from the workplace and do it. Last year i was out from work for 4-5 months, but i still had to do the work at nights (didn't mind though as i was out of the office and doing something that i enjoyed, and to be honest the whole year i was out and about for, great but you still need to do the normal jobs that subbies do).

But as shootingchef said, it should not be up to WO's/SNCO's to lead all the time, it is not. At present i fight all the time to get blokes onto courses that aren't trade linked with said WO's, why, because it will career foul them later on. MY ARRSE!! This is what becomes when you have people who are blinkered in trade and nothing else matters to them.

Still there are ways and means. :D

9. values and standards - like it a lot especially "selfless commitment". We must all be in a position surely, that we can let our soldiers away with out the security in numbers scenario....... i would gladly stand in front of the OC/CO and state Pte Fu%$£nuts is shooting sir that is why i'm in me whites/covys etc.

Yes we are heavily committed and yes there is an abundance of work out there in all trades and yes the work will still be there, ask yourselves this though is a soldier who has grafted for weeks going to graft any harder without a change or without a reward.

I am sure there are managers out there that actively discourage their soldiers to take part/volunteer for shooting teams when they re-alise the time involved.........in fact i know of an intsnace when a soldier voluntered and was disuaded by his troop sgt using the fact he would only get one weeks easter leave.....top manager!!!!!!!!!!!

I frimly beleive there are always a ways and means..if it was a two week diving expedition to the caribean....volunteers please!!!!!!!!!!

10. Marky, there is alot of work that is crap. Changing policy notices on boards because you have a new CO. Updating risk assesments because there is an audit around the corner. Managerial checks, inspections, audits on the audits to check that they have all been audited. LSI, PRE, Fire, SHEF it goes on and on. As I said I know where I would rather be. Somebody needs to rationalise all this crap so we can steal some time for the good stuff. Problem is that if some time is created then more work will be dished out as soldiering takes a poor second place.

11. Simple answer we are too busy.

12. i am assuming armadillo you can see beyond the nose on your face

13. I hope so especially if using iron sights :D

14. perhaps some soldiers are just more intrested in turning out fot their resective regt's sports teams going on leave or just blatenly cant be bothered or intrested as it takes up to much of their presious "personal" time ?.

15. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

I must admit I was totally unaware of the CorpsSAAM until I read it on here. I used to love shooting but have seen it slip into once a year "Oh bugger it's ATD time lets have a day on the ranges to waste some rounds".

You are correct, shooting is a skill that needs to be practised, and if it is practised in a non-pressure way more people will enjoy it and then hopefully more will shoot at competition.

What am I going to do about it? Sadly nothing. Work takes priority, and shooting is not an integral part of work.