• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Why is there so much anti-English sentiment worldwide?

With the possible exception of the Americans, I would say the UK is the most disliked country in the world, and easily the most disliked country in Europe by a country mile. Eurovision proves that if it proves anything.

I never understood why though. Ok, we had an empire, but then again, so did France, Spain, Germany, Japan, China, Russia, etc, etc, and today those countries are not subjected to the same level of insults and critisizm as the English are.

Also, it's only the English. Everyone loves the Celts, particularly the Scottish and the Irish. It's often said that if an Irishman walks into a bar in Spain, often they will act surly assuming they're English, and then when they realise they're Irish suddenly become friendly and talkative and say something like "I'm glad you're not English, we hate the English here". I suspect that sort of attitude is fairly rare, but I don't doubt it happens from time to time.

What is it? Jealousy? Bitterness? Or just a general dislike of English culture?

personally I think you are talking a load of arrse. I don't think that the UK is the most disliked. perhaps you should travel a bit, rather then watching crap made by cunty apologists.

I think some of it is our general lack of patriotism. Insult Turkey to a Turks face and you'd probably risk getting banged out, insult England to an Englishman's face and unfortunately you'd probably get an agreement.

We just aren't very protective of our own culture, which to some extent I believe gives others a mandate to insult us.

'If you won't stand up for yourself who else will' seems an appropriate phrase.

In Spain, the average "English" tourist is a scumbag that brings nothing but shame on the UK. However, scumbag Scots and Welsh aren't any different.

I hate most English tourists when I'm abroad, so I imagine locals who put up with them more often really aren't that keen as that is all they get to see of English culture.

I once tried to book a room in a hotel in Southern Spain, the guy was miserable as ****, but I was tired and needed a kip. He asked for a passport and as I am a dual UK -Irish passport holder I gave him the Irish passport, well you think that I had just given him a Million Euro as he instantly changed and became a charming friendly ****** instead of a surly one. I try to keep a low profile and don't shout about my nationalities, maybe that's the best way.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Well the last bunch of knobheads I saw in France, drunk in middle of day, walking up street, stopping traffic by telling them they were driving on the wrong side of the road were definitely English and not endearing themselves to the locals.

S

swampmonster

Think its because it all went ******* wrong when we lost the empire, the locals thought they could run the place without us......And even as a proud Jock i,ve no problem with you lot....

It's mainly because whilst historically we've been bloody good at ruling people, we have always been shagging useless at hand-overs.

Hence when the natives **** their own countries up on gaining independence they tend to blame the Brits and think of us as *****. Whereas in reality they don't like looking in a mirror.

With the possible exception of the Americans, I would say the UK is the most disliked country in the world, and easily the most disliked country in Europe by a country mile. Eurovision proves that if it proves anything.

I never understood why though. Ok, we had an empire, but then again, so did France, Spain, Germany, Japan, China, Russia, etc, etc, and today those countries are not subjected to the same level of insults and critisizm as the English are.

Also, it's only the English. Everyone loves the Celts, particularly the Scottish and the Irish. It's often said that if an Irishman walks into a bar in Spain, often they will act surly assuming they're English, and then when they realise they're Irish suddenly become friendly and talkative and say something like "I'm glad you're not English, we hate the English here". I suspect that sort of attitude is fairly rare, but I don't doubt it happens from time to time.

What is it? Jealousy? Bitterness? Or just a general dislike of English culture?
Total shite , 99% of expats drink in expat bars and dont speak a word of Spanish ,English or Irish ,Spanish are genuinely friendly to most white nationalities ,especially if you speak the lingo.

It's because of envy you see. Yorkshire is within England and if God were human he would be a Yorkshireman, therefore people all around the world are pissed off that God's country is within England.

I've spent a fair bit of time in Italy, can't say I've every encountered any anti-British/English sentiments there. The one time I've been to Spain (Salou), the locals definitely hated the Dutch more. I found the Germans treated all foreigners with the same disdain. I spent the first half of my life outside of the UK/Europe and the only country I've ever had any problems in was Mexico, which was generally because they thought we were Americans.

Latest Threads