Why is there no introduction board on ARRSE?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Bugsy, May 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This might be superfluous, or it might be necessary. But would it not be a positive addition to ARRSE to add a way and means by which newcomers to ARRSE could first introduce themselves to this (our) element, before they succumb to it?

Just a thought.

MsG

2. The old adage

"it it's not broke, dont fix it"

springs to mind. ?

3. The old adage:

If it's not broke, give it to an infanteer :D

4. Wouldn't "Hi I'm a civvy wannabe cnut" bore you guys to tears after a while ?

Just saying ;)

5. Due to Persec and becoming more of a civvy magnet than it is??

It's more fun seeing folk blab their details when monged/piished etc when alcohol etc has loosened their hinge.

Pot, kettle and..

6. There is a basic introduction somewhere, to let the new mongs how the site works. Most ignore it and post the usual drivel.

Perhaps the MODS could introduce a Terms & Conditions page when you sign up as a new member

7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

That is the most irritating phrase since "it does what it says on the tin". I think you should leave the internet and email alone and go back to paper, pens and phone only to communicate. None of those are broken. In fact scrap the phone. A bit too progressive.

To the more constructive posters - Good idea - I'll think about it later / tomorrow.

8. Great reply Good CO!

9. But then all the fresh meat just stays in the introduction section saying hello to each other for the first six months. The only way to do it is jump in with both feet a make an ARRSE of yourself.

10. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I know its something that we discussed a while ago but given the site is now so feature rich and complex would a series of tutorials, perhaps flash recordings or Slideshare shows that integrate screen casting, voice overs and the like would be useful.

A kind of 'ARRSE for Dummies'

Attaching files, what the different forums are, how to hotlink images, signatures & avatars, searching, chat, arrsepedia etc etc

There is so much to the site

11. Can one of the new member registration criteria also be, that if they are female, a picture has to be posted in the forum prior to full activation of their account?

For research purposes you understand!

12. I'll start it off then.....Hello, I'm Jack Daniels and I'm an alcoholic.

13. It might save intorduction posts being put in random areas of the site. It's particularly sad when some newcomer posts first off in the Naafi bar and gets torn to shreds, especially when it just puts them off the site.

14. Darwinism at work. It's not sad in the slightest.

15. Not a bad idea - JD like your style. Figuring that MDN's should put off a few wannabe nutters, Chubbs and so on.

So do we now all need to do a retrospective intro?

"Hi I'm Abrighter2006 and obviously pretty dense for choosing a username that is now so last year. As it goes 2006 was shit year, but made better by the membership of ARRSE. I would like to travel the world and help small children (in a Miss World, not Gary Glitter way)."

Think I need to work on it a bit!

Other than that - personally I don't feel that enough people listen to Gren. He comes up with some very good suggestions. :)