Why is the UK in Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Oct 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From a liberal blog in the US:

2. 'Why is the UK in Afghanistan?"

To make Liebour appear relevant on the world stage
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Firstly - "it's not berkshire" - typical British understatement - move on
    James Joyce - "it inappropriate" - just resigned from his job, needs a higher profile, so making noises - nothing to see here - move on.
    "it forgets the real afghan -berkshire connection... berkshire Regiment...death of lots" wtf has that got to do with the Brigadier's talk, apart from demonstrating that the writer can use google? - move on.

Why are we in @stan? - because the US asked us to, we've made a commitment to help sort the benighted place out and it would be politically and militarily embarrassing to leave. Any further answer is just flimflam
  4. Just think. If we unilaterally pulled out of Afghanistan then the government would have an excuse to cut the size of the forces, and more soldiers would get those brown envelopes.
  5. Are we not in Afghanistan at all to aid the Americans after the atrocity of 9/11? Where in fact a large (large than our own 7/7 bombings) number of British people died?

I personally think that despite hitting America, it was an attack on the whole West by a militant minority who at that time were based in Afghanistan. Therefore we needed to respond as the West.

8 years on and I'm not so sure if Al Queda are in Afghanistan, but in reality will there ever be peace with AQ? If not Afghanistan, there will be a battlefield somewhere else.
  6. .

The Berkshire point is important in my view - though maybe it could be expressed better. There is an expectation in parts of FCO, DFID and some parts of society at large that the end state will see a significant change in the Afghan society and culture with respect to governance, education and the treatment of women, for example. These expectations need to be managed, are undeliverable in the short term and will not be the output of any military activity. The root cause of many of our current difficulties in Afghanistan is that there is no unity of purpose within UK governement, let alone between coalition members.
  7. Because AQ wanted us there............

According to an article in The Asia Times, AQ planned to suck the US, (and I guess allies), into Afghanistan on the basis it would be a better killing field than elsewhere in the world. Obviously, read the article with a pinch of salt but it's chilling nonetheless.
  8. msr

msr LE

9. Very insightful BS!
  10. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

And exactly what the Brigadier is saying and the article writer fails to understand (either fails or deliberately ignores to big himself up).
  11. To be fair the article is correct in that the reason we're commiting so much more to Afghanistan than anyone other than the US is the same reason we went into Iraq with the US - to keep alive the idea of the "special relationship" and show we're useful to Uncle Sam. If you beleive the in the "special relationship" and think it's worth preserving (and I think most of the UK polity and Establishment does) then it's doubly necessary to stay in Afghanistan after the UK's failure in Iraq.

Personally I think the US likes to play to the vanity of UK politicos to get what it wants when it needs us but then just ignores us the rest of the time.
  12. Perhaps in former times--based on the treatment of your PM and Queen by the MASTER OF THE WORLD I am not sure that the current US government doesn't ignore you all the time now.
  13. The pragmatic and uncaring side of me says that we are all victims or beneficiaries of the time and place that our individual lives occupy.

The concept of exporting Western democracy and ideals throughout the world and expecting the supposed errant regimes to roll over and die quietly and quickly when our own civilisations have taken centuries to reach where they are is bollox.

Pull up the drawbridges, keep well armed and prepared and look after ourselves and wait for the others to play catch-up which they will do in their own times. Deal only with like-minded nations.

It sounds like it's a case of "I'm alright Jack" because it is. I tend to behave to people the way I expect them to behave to me and in a nation to nation scale, i can't see many of the nations we give any form of aid to to have ever be willing to do the same for us. Giving India (a nuclear nation with a space programme) £800 million in aid is a case in point. Soon enough we will need all the aid we can get when we become a bankrupt nation. How our kids will thank us.

But then again I suppose that oil is the main driver here rather than good intentions ............... :x

I daresay that BLiar will be immune from prosecution whilst head of the new European Super-State :x

14. My mate reckons it's coz they have WMD.Is that right?
  15. F*** me, it was somewhere just off the coast of Europe when I last checked. Did someone move it when I wasn't watching?