Why is the British government so allied with the American government?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most Americans don't even like the British, a lot of them still haven't got over the Revolutionary War and think it's still 1780. Most of them don't appreciate our efforts in Afghanistan fighting their stupid war and the British troops never get a mention in their media, I suspect a large amount of them aren't even aware there are British troops there at all. A lot of the US clearly hate us and yet our troops go off and fight their pathetic wars.

I wish the UK had a leader with the guts to tell America to bugger off quite frankly. They don't even support us over the Falkland Islands, and the US government's latest statement was clearly in support of Argentina, I believe in reports they even refer to it as "Las Malvinas" rather than "Falkland Islands"

I think this "special relationship" British politicians keep banging on about has come to an end. At best America is completely indifferent to us, in their eyes there's no "special relationship", the UK isn't given any special status in their media and government organisations.

Most Americans don't even like the British, a lot of them still haven't got over the Revolutionary War and think it's still 1780.

Most of them don't appreciate our efforts in Afghanistan fighting their stupid war and the British troops never get a mention in their media, I suspect a large amount of them aren't even aware there are British troops there at all. A lot of the US clearly hate us and yet our troops go off and fight their pathetic wars.

I wish the UK had a leader with the guts to tell America to bugger off quite frankly. They don't even support us over the Falkland Islands, and the US government's latest statement was clearly in support of Argentina, I believe in reports they even refer to it as "Las Malvinas" rather than "Falkland Islands"

I think this "special relationship" British politicians keep banging on about has come to an end. At best America is completely indifferent to us, in their eyes there's no "special relationship", the UK isn't given any special status in their media and government organisations.
Interesting. British people are one of the few nations the US actually do like. They do support us and our actions in Afghanistan. Try going there as a member of the military, whether on or off duty. They may not cover our forces in the media much, but thats not entirely surprising.

Apart from that a good point well made. Well done.

We're the only other country with a right of access to the use of American nuclear weaponry. If a Trident ICBM is fired there is no way for those on the receiving end to know whether it has been launched from a US or UK submarine (I think).

Then there are extensive intelligence sharing agreements, joint command structures, high volumes of trade, right to purchase general armaments, both market-liberal democracies etc etc.

Do I think it's a good thing? Not necessarily, but I do understand the need for the closeness.

ok, my previous statement wasn't probably as clear as it should be: it should be "(..) in the last 2 big wars" ya know- 1st and 2nd world war.
are you, from the other hand, claiming that USA's intervention wasn't important :p?
Bad examples. British and American foreign policy was not aligned at the outbreak of either of these two conflicts, and on both occasions the Americans were unwilling participants.

So who do you want to hold hands with, the F*****g French?.

Most Americans don't even like the British, a lot of them still haven't got over the Revolutionary War and think it's still 1780. Most of them don't appreciate our efforts in Afghanistan fighting their stupid war and the British troops never get a mention in their media, I suspect a large amount of them aren't even aware there are British troops there at all. A lot of the US clearly hate us and yet our troops go off and fight their pathetic wars.
So ****ing what? A lot of British people watch the ****ing X Factor, and I sincerely hope that foreign governments don't base their opinion of the UK on that fact.

To be honest the US calls on UK help far more than vice versa. During the Falklands War, we didn't ask for military help from anyone, whereas if it was a similar US war, I suspect they'd be asking for support from everyone in Europe.

Diplomacy eh. The Americans really will always put America first. That's the nature of the relationship we do have with them but there are enormous benefits to us across the board, many of them not really apparent on the face of it. As for the special relationship, does it exist? That's a yes and a no depending on whats going on at the time. For instance take the Falklands in 82. America diplomatically sat on the fence intially in public but there was support for us particularly as things started to warm up. That was a diplomatic risk for America to support us against Argentina because they risked pissing off the whole of South America by supporting us.

It's partly a historic thing, if you put aside the war of independence against Britain and move onto the first and second world wars, and then the cold war. Top those up with all the other smaller and tiny wars that have happened. We have always to a varying degree enjoyed their support even when we didn't dip our toe in the water ala Vietnam.

It's also a matter of real politik in action. America are the superpower in the world and thats unlikely to change for quite a while yet. It doesn't hurt us to have them on our side where we can. That works for them as well but at the end of the day, we depend on them much more than they do on us. On a personal note. My first wife was American and inspite of the fact, we split up many years ago now, she was a lovely girl. Like any place in the world, in terms of the general American person, You get allsorts. To paraphrase an old Clint Eastwood favourite, the good, the bad and the ugly all live there and I have met lot's of good ones. Some of the people you meet over there do really have a thing about us and love the Brits but don't confuse that affection with the intentions or the aims of the American government.

ok, my previous statement wasn't probably as clear as it should be: it should be "(..) in the last 2 big wars" ya know- 1st and 2nd world war.
are you, from the other hand, claiming that USA's intervention wasn't important :p?
Im claiming you need to choke yourself and put it on the internet.

And learn to speak English. Do it in whichever order you like

Go and read some history books (Yeah I'm sorry that means going to a reference library),look up American reasons for involvement,in the First,and Second World War.

Then come back and amend your post.

Merry Christmas. :roll:

Can you cite any evidence to back up your first paragraph or is all just in your mind?

If they don’t wish to publically support us over the Falkland Islands, then that is their right. Remember we stole them from the Argentineans in the first place.

As for the special relationship, that is one point you have got right. IIRC they amended the list of counties with which they have a “Special Relationship” and Britain wasn’t on it. But later questioned why, Obama stated that Britain wasn’t on the list because they have their own standing which is being America’s closest ally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads