Why is the British government so allied with the American government?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Matematik, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Most Americans don't even like the British, a lot of them still haven't got over the Revolutionary War and think it's still 1780. Most of them don't appreciate our efforts in Afghanistan fighting their stupid war and the British troops never get a mention in their media, I suspect a large amount of them aren't even aware there are British troops there at all. A lot of the US clearly hate us and yet our troops go off and fight their pathetic wars.

I wish the UK had a leader with the guts to tell America to bugger off quite frankly. They don't even support us over the Falkland Islands, and the US government's latest statement was clearly in support of Argentina, I believe in reports they even refer to it as "Las Malvinas" rather than "Falkland Islands"

I think this "special relationship" British politicians keep banging on about has come to an end. At best America is completely indifferent to us, in their eyes there's no "special relationship", the UK isn't given any special status in their media and government organisations.

2. Errrrr, where to begin, yes we do have a lot of history with the US. This may be easier if you tell me how old you are?

17?

3. I know mate. It's terrible isn't it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Interesting. British people are one of the few nations the US actually do like. They do support us and our actions in Afghanistan. Try going there as a member of the military, whether on or off duty. They may not cover our forces in the media much, but thats not entirely surprising.

Apart from that a good point well made. Well done.

5. We're the only other country with a right of access to the use of American nuclear weaponry. If a Trident ICBM is fired there is no way for those on the receiving end to know whether it has been launched from a US or UK submarine (I think).

Then there are extensive intelligence sharing agreements, joint command structures, high volumes of trade, right to purchase general armaments, both market-liberal democracies etc etc.

Do I think it's a good thing? Not necessarily, but I do understand the need for the closeness.

6. that's because, in case of any war with somebody with strong army, brits will ask for help USA- as they did in the last 2 wars.

7. You urgently need to have a stroke

• Like Like x 2

8. How many of the ISAF Countries get a mention on our media?

• Like Like x 3
  9. ok, my previous statement wasn't probably as clear as it should be: it should be "(..) in the last 2 big wars" ya know- 1st and 2nd world war.
    are you, from the other hand, claiming that USA's intervention wasn't important :p?

10. Bad examples. British and American foreign policy was not aligned at the outbreak of either of these two conflicts, and on both occasions the Americans were unwilling participants.

11. I think he's claiming that you're an arsewipe..........

12. So who do you want to hold hands with, the F*****g French?.

13. So ****ing what? A lot of British people watch the ****ing X Factor, and I sincerely hope that foreign governments don't base their opinion of the UK on that fact.

14. To be honest the US calls on UK help far more than vice versa. During the Falklands War, we didn't ask for military help from anyone, whereas if it was a similar US war, I suspect they'd be asking for support from everyone in Europe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.