Why is my mobile number displaying as a Russian Number?

Right, after some mobile phone problems diagnosis. I have: Used the search facility, Used google and now am posting here which is hopefully a place where I may get a sensible answer.

Tonight, I rang the wife from my Iphone 5S to her Iphone 5S. On her display it showed not my number, but a number originating in Russia. It did this more than once. I tried turning off dial assist, it did the same thing.

I then dialled my parent's landline, as they have caller display - with dial assist both on and off, it displayed the correct number.

Any idea what has done this, and how to resolve it - my Iphone update is current?

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
Phone number linked to your Grindr account?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Right, after some mobile phone problems diagnosis. I have: Used the search facility, Used google and now am posting here which is hopefully a place where I may get a sensible answer.

Tonight, I rang the wife from my Iphone 5S to her Iphone 5S. On her display it showed not my number, but a number originating in Russia. It did this more than once. I tried turning off dial assist, it did the same thing.

I then dialled my parent's landline, as they have caller display - with dial assist both on and off, it displayed the correct number.

Any idea what has done this, and how to resolve it - my Iphone update is current?
Have you checked your 'phone settings? You may have inadvertently changed your 'language and region' settings. Or maybe the tech gods reasoned that someone called Vladimir Ilyich might be Russian for some crazy reason...

You have obviously been hacked by one of our local KGB spies

Calling @KGB_resident ....

I seem to remember that Col. and Yulia Skripal had the same problem with their phones before that little novichok unpleasantness... oh, Charlie Rowlie and his late parner Dawn Sturgess too.

Whatever you do, don't pick up any perfume bottles you see laying around and get somebody you don't like to open your front door for you. Don't go to Salisbury either.

Sir Arthur

War Hero
I reckon it is was (just saw your update) something to do with the number 7. Country code for Russia is +7, somewhere I bet something is dropping the 0. I don't have an iphone to hand at the moment, could imsg/facetime/ have a number associated with it? Even your phone be showing your number as 7NNNNNNNNN instead of 07NNNNNNNNN. When it says it is a Russian number does it have any other similar digits to your phone number?

Anyway, it is fixed, so who cares, thanks for reading.... :)

Anyway, it is fixed, so who cares, thanks for reading.... :)
Actually some of the google answers hinted at a flaw along those lines, but whilst the first number is 07, the rest of the numbers didn't match.

Currently in Gibraltar, so the phone locks onto either Gib, Spanish or Moroccan networks seemingly at whim depending on where or how high on the Rock I am.

Sir Arthur

War Hero
Actually some of the google answers hinted at a flaw along those lines, but whilst the first number is 07, the rest of the numbers didn't match.

Currently in Gibraltar, so the phone locks onto either Gib, Spanish or Moroccan networks seemingly at whim depending on where or how high on the Rock I am.
Just straying off topic slightly, but Is Morocco a country that is included in free EU roaming? If you are locking on that and using a Moroccan network you might want to make sure that you do not get hit with roaming. Apologies if you have thought of this.

I had similar with EE 2 years ago after visiting Iceland. Even when back in the UK, people phoning me got an international ringtone - and my phone showed I was still "roaming" from Iceland. EE could not explain it but reimbursed all extra charges (there were lots). I'll have to check my dropbox as I screenshot various things on my phone once back in UK but - my phone thought I was still in Iceland.

Latest Threads