Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Why Is It Tea/Coffee "NATO" ??

Cofftea is worse from a Norgy that had curry in it!!!!

I think the Warsaw Pact was used by anyone who didn't want NATO Standard, thus they would say "Warsaw Pact" followed by a quick description of what was actually wanted.

Can't say I've come across it but bear in mind on tanks we only had three guys to worry about as well as oneself. As you were working with the same crew most of the time it wasn't necessary to ask what any of the guys took in tea/coffee.

I did hear the NATO Standard thing many times though.

polar69 said:
sparkysapper said:
do not want the "nato standard" explanation want something better.

I believe it comes from the 1st world war when Officers were allowed Tea with sugar and milk but the foot soldiers had no extras

Nothing Added Tea Only

Yeeeees 'cos NATO was so popular in WW1 wasn't it :p

LOL. But seriously, did you know that in WW1 the Tommies' rats included packets of loose tea with the sugar already mixed in? I'll get me anorak....

Very interesting. I've found that NATO now means white, none. Of course it used to be white, two.
Obviously our tea is evolving in response to the healthy eating nutters. I've also heard 'Tea , Nato, pre-options'
to describe tea white two, an obvious inference to a less healthy time (before Options for Change) when you could
have a proper brew.

Perevodchik said:
Very interesting. I've found that NATO now means white, none. Of course it used to be white, two.
Obviously our tea is evolving in response to the healthy eating nutters. I've also heard 'Tea , Nato, pre-options'
to describe tea white two, an obvious inference to a less healthy time (before Options for Change) when you could
have a proper brew.

Where did you hear that? I've never heard NATO mean anything other than "White, 2" - "White, None" is a Julie Andrews.

Not many people know this.

In Hong Kong, a favourite drink with a meal is Lai Cha, or Milk Tea. Only today i found out exactly what it is and the British Army is responsible for the HongKongers taste for Lai Cha.

It is tea with Carnation milk... Who Knew ?

Although i have been informed you could get this evaporated milk nowadays instead, it is just as good.

I feel nostalgia coming on, that big silver urn near the hotplate....

Attachments

• Evaporated milk.jpg
    Evaporated milk.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 267
Not many people know this.

In Hong Kong, a favourite drink with a meal is Lai Cha, or Milk Tea. Only today i found out exactly what it is and the British Army is responsible for the HongKongers taste for Lai Cha.

It is tea with Carnation milk... Who Knew ?

Although i have been informed you could get this evaporated milk nowadays instead, it is just as good.

I feel nostalgia coming on, that big silver urn near the hotplate....
My Grandmother used to make rice pudding with watered down evaporated milk, was very good.

Tea/Coffee no milk 2 sugars - Arnie (T2)

Tea/Coffee milk no sugars - Julie Andrews (White Nun)

Tea/Coffee no milk no sugar - Whoopie Goldberg (Black Nun)

Tea/Coffee milk no sugar and whiskey - Coltraine (Scottish Nun)

I worked for an utter w@nker of a coy 2 I/c that wouldn't have evaporated milk in his tea, not good enough for him then why tolerate it for the lads Capt Schermouli you w@nker!!!!!!!!?