why have we got 500 Colonels?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by brighton hippy, Sep 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. army one hundred thousand give or take a few hundred :(
    thats a max what 100 command slot maybe 200 tops
    100 staff slots
    so why have we 3 to 1 ratio of staff to command
    there can't be that many plans surely?

2. I think you know the answer to that one already, don't you? Either that or you're a bit on the slow side.

3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Probably due to a shortage in well paid not particularly taxing in mind or body work that has the attached social cachet that is required for an ex-Colonel.

The MOD is just keeping them turning over so to speak - I mean what would they do otherwise? There's hardly enough decent golf Clubs for them to act as club secretary for now is there?

4. You forgot to count the desks that need commanding and the committees that need manning.

5. msr

msr LE

And 250+ Brigadiers

6. Colonels don't run golf clubs...Majors run golf clubs!!

7. msr

msr LE

Exactly, Colonels end up as public school bursars.

msr

8. Are honourary Colonels included in that?

And are we strictly talking about 2 pip, one Crown full Colonels here?

Just for clarification

Prae

9. I thought the reason that we have more 'Senior staff' still on the pay role was that in the event of a mass mobalisation, it take Years to train up Staff Officers and then organise their working departments.
    john

10. If we do that then why not retain SNCOs and WOs for their extensive knowledge and experience? How do they oranise their working departments? it is a case of 'get me' ' fetch me' 'I want'.

What do alot of theses retained officers bring to the party apart from a drain on the system? Fiascos like BOWMAN and Apache spring to mind. The wages saved could be spent on improving the living conditions in the blocks and quarters.

I'll get off my soap bx now :D

11. ffs 250 brigadiers thats insane!
    50 would be tearing the arrse out of things but 250 :roll:

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

What we really need is 250 Brigadiers, 500 Colonels, 1000 Lt Colonels, 2000 majors, 30000 Captains, 150,000 Lt's, 200000 Staff Sargeants, 500,000 Sergeant Majors, 800,000 SNCOs, 1,000,000 JNCOs and 5 squaddies.

This way, if ever WW3 breaks out, we'll be ready and only have to train up the masses a la WW1.

Job done.

13. I had a conversation along these lines just the other day.

Many people are blissfully unaware of just how over officered we are, especially at the higher levels.

14. That's peanuts.

The RAF have 92 Air Commodores, 40 Air Marshalls and 340 Group Captains. IIRC that's more aircraft than we have.

Someone been reading "Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs" by Lewis Page have we?

15. By same logic we must only need one RSM per Regt/Bn. Get rid of all the other WO1s?

Or is that a bit simplistic?

Colonel rank has always been a bit of an anachronism. The fact that some officers skip it completely probably proves point. Same could be said of 2Lt nowadays.