Why have the SF not rescued the chandlers yet?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bmal, Jul 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First of all apologies if this has already been discussed on this forum, I couldn't find this topic after a quick search (which has been playing up for me).

Today i remembered the story of the Chandlers being snatched by Somali pirates last year, and by now i would of thought it would have been old news after our forces went in and got them out, or negotiations solved the problem bringing it to a peaceful end , but no, they are still there, looking in a very bad way, both mentally and physically. apparently the SBS were ready to act earlier this year but the rescue was stopped as it was deemed to risky. What work do the special forces undergo that isn't risky, this is why our government have elite troops training, waiting for something like this, isn't it? Royal marines where in striking distance as they were snatched, and they did not react.

So, why are they still sat there staring down the barrel of an AK-47!?
  2. Nuke Somalia....................Schimples!
  3. What are they eating?
  4. Because they are idiots who shouldn't have been there in the fist place and as such don't deserve rescuing!
  5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Hardly fair on them. They were taken just of the Seychelles, nearly 1000 miles from the Somali coast and, by some way at the time, the furthest out anyone had been taken hostage.
  6. It's a little known fact that they were in fact rescued by Them and replaced by two of Them who go by the names of Chalky and Smudger. Sshhh!
  7. They ignored advice from numerous quarters not to sail the route that they did. They made their choice, they took the risks. Why the hell should other folks risk their life, to rescue people who were too stupid or too arrogant to follow advice given to them by authorities in the area?
  8. haha! i can see the sun's headline now.

rafair, i can see you're point, but it's been long enough, if it was an oil tanker, the rescue would of been in action hours later.
  9. Possibly real life isn't quite a simple as that ...

10. Yep, both the Sychelles authorities and the FO told them not to sail that route as pirate were active on it, arrogant idiots said 'but we're yachties, they'll not be interested in us' and ignored the advice.
  11. Why have the SF not rescued the chandlers yet?

Because Gerry and Martin aren't getting any younger and their mates in the IRA have chucked away all their weapons. Sinn Fein are no longer in the hostage rescue business but they are available to open fetes and supermarkets.
  12. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

AM you have the inside track on this one, oh and the cupboard is bare the goverment what ever Hue has no taste for conflict, and diplomacy is the by word.
  13. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

double post , mmmmm,
  14. Gutless polititians, remember the whole thing was filmed by the ****ing useless cnuts onboard a heavily armed RFA ship
  15. A heavily armed RFA?