Why 'Ex-soldier'?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by REMEbrat, Apr 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ex-soldier is banned from road (From The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald)
    Joshua Davies was seen by a police officer to hit a parked Ford Mondeo and upon being tested at Gablecross Police Station was found to be over the drink drive limit.
    He was serving in the Army 6 months ago, why do the Wiltshire Gazette and Herald feel the need to mention his past military experience?
  2. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

why not ?
  3. You never see "Ex-B&Q employee" do you?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. I worked at the Nottingham B&Q.

I still have the PTSD and that haunted far away look in my eyes that suggests an ocean of inner turmoil just beneath the surface.

Now where's my medal?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. I know where you got your PTSD from. I used to shop in there when we were doing the house up.

Gawd bless ya.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Squaddies - Heroes, stories of whom who sell papers.
    Ex - Squaddies - Barely restrained baby killers, stories of whom sell papers.

You'll note there's a bit of overlap between the two?
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Maybe the local rag was astonished that an Ex-soldier had been convicted of anything, surely his lawyer deserves shooting, some sort of claim for PTSD would have had him driving without blemish on his license
  8. Did you have to shop in the Nottingham B & Q, as the more Northerly ones, did not sell indoor plumbing fixtures?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Because the media are cnuts
    • Like Like x 1
  10. We had a house in Beeston Rylands at the time. I feel like I should have shares in B&Q and Wickes.
  11. If it had been Clifton I would nominate you for the George Medal.
  12. For the same reason that an MP or a doctor would have their profession mentioned.
  13. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Because it makes the story more interesting. You're not a journalist are you?
  14. If it had been Clifton, she would have been able to keep the coal in the bath tub like the rest of the residents (as well as ALL of Mersey side)

Love you Dale.
    Call me.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Perhaps because the drunk driver used his army service as some sort of mitigation against his crime. How else would the "Wilshire Gazette and Herald" know of his past working life?

I'm no fan of journalists who dig around for dirt and embellish stories for their own goals, but the only way this guy's service would have come about is if he'd used his "exemplary military record" from his red book as a means to get his punishment reduced against a worthless, career civvy who had done the same thing.