Why Estonia?

A friend of mine has just been notified that they are being posted to Estonia.Being a bit behind the times I cannot understand why,can anyone help?.

A friend of mine has just been notified that they are being posted to Estonia.Being a bit behind the times I cannot understand why,can anyone help?.
Have you considered asking your friend?

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
is he a Cybersecurity guru?
Good thought: the NATO Cyber 'Centre of Excellence' is there.

Tallinn is a lovely place - highly recommended for a run ashore. And there's been a long relationship between UK and Estonia, and a warm one. We did something to stop the Russians being beastly to them in WW1, and we've also been helpful since the end of the Cold War, so Brits are still generally welcome there.

Why Estonia?

Err . . ?

Exmarine is in that part of the world - he'll know what's going on, but I'm pretty sure there's a BATT there

I read somewhere that British and Estonia troops have worked closely in Afghan, and combined with the prior good relations between the nations, a BATT or similar seems logical.

I read somewhere that British and Estonia troops have worked closely in Afghan, and combined with the prior good relations between the nations, a BATT or similar seems logical.
That's correct. The Estonians (Company strength?) are based next to KBR in Bastion.

British and Estonian troops have worked together for a number of years in afghan. On H10/11 they were located at PB Silab, North Nad E Ali and were attached to the British BG for that area. They've certainly got spirit, but are somewhat lacking in equipment, training, doctrine and techniques.

There have been a number of injured Estonians treated at headley court and I know a team from HC went to Estonia to advise on them establishing a rehab centre and improving med facilities.

It would only be sensible that the UK extends it's working relationship with Estonia through various military roles.

With any luck it will be dirt cheap over there.