Why dont we buy/lease AC-130?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jan 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You want CIFS, it delivers and has big loiter capability.

Its not as if we dont know the airframe - time to get some?
  2. The Government would rather spend money on asylum seekers, single teenage mothers and scrounging fucks on the dole then worrying about giving scumbag soldiers extra air support.
  3. They can't even keep the Hercs they own in the air let alone geting anymore.
  4. We could barely afford the sandbags to pop the brass in after one fire mission.

Plus renovating Whitehall Main Building is a higher priority than buying kit.
  5. We can't lease AC130s because the USAF doesn't have any spare. Some of the USAF aircraft are Vietnam War era, so they will need to be replaced soonish.

Would be good to have a few of our own, but we're so short of C130s (and cash) that there'd be none to convert.
  6. It sounds like a good idea but aren't we still waiting for them to spend the money on fire suppresent foam for the fuel tanks in the C-130's we've got?

...and we've only just finished paying for the last lot of lend-lease from WW2
  7. I seem to recall that the stress on a AC-130 airframe means it requires major work every 100 flying hours (correct me if I am wrong). Just what we need in the RAF, a maintenance heavy airframe!
  8. I'd rather have A10's anyway. They are the best close air support anyone could hope for.
  9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

perhaps we could get the AC130 and A 10 crew to give a firepower demonstration against the mod building

That way the civil service may see how good they are and order some instead of euro flopper

10. Agreed. Fairly cheap, very robust, battle proven and a simple airframe.
  11. We could always wait for the septics to retire both. They are bound to come up with something more flash.

We could then build it ourselves under licence.

There is something pretty damn sexy about the whole idea of the Spectre etc., what with the howizters and other guns, just going round in circles kicking the cr@p out of a small piece of ground
  12. Guns, in planes, how much fun is that!

13. Couldn't have put it better myself
  14. The airframes they have mothballed in the Desert boneyard are in better nick than half the ones we have flying! We could probably pick up a slack handfull of Warthogs + spares for the price of a new shiny office block.