Why dont the paras jump operationally ??

#1
I think every other army uses their airbourne unit as they are made to be used, so why dont the british airborne jump operationally anymore ???
 
#2
Lack of aircraft, there all doing somthing else
 
#3
Is the MOD's budget due to expand any time in the next few years because our budget compared to someone like the USA's is ridiculously low !!!!
 
#4
SneakyTeen said:
Is the MOD's budget due to expand any time in the next few years because our budget compared to someone like the USA's is ridiculously low !!!!
Yes, but compared to the USA, our Armed Forces are ridiculously small!
 
#8
Serious answer. Because there have not been suitable circumstances in which to use a Para drop.
 
#9
what about afghan where soldiers are being killed by enemies that are planted in the ground (IED's :D), so wouldnt para dropping be useful, or are the conditions in Afghanistan not right or something ??
 
#10
Parachuting into the Hindu Kush are you mad
 
#12
SneakyTeen said:
what about afghan where soldiers are being killed by enemies that are planted in the ground (IED's :D), so wouldnt para dropping be useful, or are the conditions in Afghanistan not right or something ??
You know that Paras will land on the ground don't you?

Not withstanding IEDs casualty rates in an air drop (just from dropping not from fighting) are quite high.

The whole concept has been pretty dodgy and only used in extremis, all through it's life.
 
#15
The begining of the Himallaya mountain range it means "Death of Hindus". Most of Afghanistan is up about 2000-3000mtrs going up to about 5000mtrs these a conditions not condusive to parachuting. Kyber Gorge 1976
 
#16
If you want to insert forces a long way away quickly hen an airdrop would be suitable (recent French drop in Africa). Otherwise a helli is better and much simpler to resupply and pick up the troops after. But mainly we no longer have the ability to do more than one activity at a time. Also you need to be sure that your enemy does not have a credible air defence even if it is only shoulder launched.

As for Hindu Kush I seem to remember an air drop in the 30s by the Indian Army.
 
#17
SneakyTeen said:
So are the paras around more for the historic value of them, more than for operational uniqueness ??
CLACKER, a joint working group comprised of the Women's Institute, Peter Mandelson, and representatives of the Parachute Regiment, asked this very same question, when faced with the issue of lack of funding for teeth arms regiments. At the meeting it was voted that, indeed, the term Parachute Regiment is a misnomer. It was found that institutional sentimentality had prevented the abolishment of the regiment. Furthermore, it was also found -- upon reading a report written by the Black Disabled Transgender Alliance -- that the Parachute Regiment was failing completely in issues of inclusivity and diversity. Therefore, it was proposed that by the end of 2009 the Parachute Regiment would disband, sell its parachutes to Mozambique, and merge with the ACC to become the ACFC (Army Catering and Fighting Corps). It is hoped that a more inclusive, culturally sensitive regiment will emerge that will positively welcome applications from all communities, irrespective of gender, disability or sexuality. A white paper has been earmarked for reading in the Commons after Easter 2009.

Does that help?
 
#18
US Army Rangers and 82nd AB have both done jumps in the stan.

French jumped '78, Kolwezi, Zaire.
Belgians last jumped into the Congo December 1964

Our Paras have not done a Jump since Suez in '56.
It's a useful capability and should be retained - just in case !
 
#19
arfah said:
US Army Rangers and 82nd AB have both done jumps in the stan.

French last jumped '78, Kolwezi, Zaire.
Belgians last jumped into the Congo December 1964

Our Paras have not done a Jump since Suez in '56.
It's a useful capability and should be retained - just in case !
I could of swore that the U.S have done jumps into Afghan thats why i posed the question 'why havent we' just in different words :D
 
#20
SneakyTeen said:
arfah said:
US Army Rangers and 82nd AB have both done jumps in the stan.

French last jumped '78, Kolwezi, Zaire.
Belgians last jumped into the Congo December 1964

Our Paras have not done a Jump since Suez in '56.
It's a useful capability and should be retained - just in case !
I could of swore that the U.S have done jumps into Afghan thats why i posed the question 'why havent we' just in different words :D
Because we don't need to.
 

Top